Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I have a ´PROBLEM ´ but I don ´t have a ´DOUBT ´    

I have a ´PROBLEM ´ but I don ´t have a ´DOUBT ´

Pelletrine
France

here is a tread that might cast away some doubts  ...about doubts:

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/102461-i-have-doubt-i-am-doubt.html

... we have to have doubts about something

good night
sleep tight
hope the bugs don �t bite
... if they do
squeeze them tight
and they wont come back tomorrow night
   .... no doubt

20 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

Actually, Pelletrine, that link doesn �t help much, since it just shows the construction without giving any examples of how to use it. In the US, at least, we would very rarely say "I have a doubt about...". If we don �t really believe something, we might say "I have doubts (not "a doubt") about his ability to explain that", although we would be much more likely to say "I doubt his ability to explain that". In any case, "I have a doubt about..." doesn �t mean anything like "I am uncertain about (the meaning of)..." or "I have a question about...". It means that I don �t trust the reliability of a person or situation.

I doubt that the link you provided will clarify this situation, but I thank you for trying to make it clearer.

Bruce

20 Jan 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Bruce,

Thank you.

Dear Olindalima,

�I am not sure which to choose, A or B�.  Please, help me!�

�I am at a loss as to what to buy for my daughter�s birthday.  What do you suggest?  Please, help me!�

�I don�t know which to pick.  I don�t know which to choose, A, B, or C.  Please, help me!�

�I am in a dilemma, because I can�t decide whether to choose A or B.  What do you suggest?  Please, help me!�

�I can�t make up my mind which to choose, A, B, or C.  Please, help me!�

�I am in a quandary, because there are several possible courses of action, and I can�t decide what to do.  Please, help me!�

�What is your opinion?  Which one is right --- this one or that one?  Please, help me!�

�I am undecided which answer/word/sentence/construction is correct.  Please, help me!�

�I am in doubt/I am doubtful/I am uncertain/I am undecided/I am confused/ as to how to answer this question�.

�I have doubts/I have my doubts/I have a difficulty/I have a problem/I have a query/I have a question/I have a hesitation/I have an uncertainty/ regarding this situation�.

These, and many other phrases, would be suitable.

If you wish, PM me, or Skype me, and we can discuss it further.

Les Douglas

20 Jan 2013     

Pelletrine
France

Thank you Bruce ! This is clear sound response .... as was Les � tread in the beginning.
- It is a difference of sentence construction ... I must admit ... not easy to understand.... maybe because derived from the French word �douter �.... which does mean �be uncertain about something � ... I �ll try to be aware of the difference ;o))
- No doubt I will remember ;o)))

- maybe a lot of latin influenced mother tongue members can get a hint here ;))

20 Jan 2013     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Clever Les ... as always ... :-)

20 Jan 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

Hey Les sorry to hear that you have a problem. If there is anything that I can do short of sending cash, let me know. ED

20 Jan 2013     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

We have talked about this question a thousand times on the forum and I �ve sent private messages to lots of people telling them about the wrong use of the phrase but we have new people every day and they translate literally from their language into English. Little by little everybody will know, let �s be patient.
Yolanda

21 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Ed LOL. Les, you may not have a doubt, but I think you �ve got a bit of a bee in your bonnet. Wink

21 Jan 2013     

Speedy Kiki
France

I for sure know, that you can say
�I doubt �
or even
�I �m doubtful that..... �
OR
�In case of doubt............ �
have a lovely day, hugs from snowy France :-)

21 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Maybe �I have a doubt � will come into the language, as us lot use it so much.... Just a thought. Wink

21 Jan 2013     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >