Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Usage problem    

Usage problem

oleg_maz
Russian Federation

Usage problem

Hi everyone,

I �m having trouble getting the meaning of a gerund pattern -  the sentence is A knee injury stopped him playing in the World Cup, and my question is: had he played in the World Cup before the injury?  The question is not purely academic - I need to make a key to the test I �m checking :-)

Thanks in advance for your help.

22 Jan 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Not necessarily, no. It implies that he was up for consideration to play in the World Cup or had already been selected, but the knee injury ruled him out. 

22 Jan 2013     

florimago
Spain

I agree with cunliffe  but maybe some explanation of the context may help .

22 Jan 2013     

douglas
United States

The sentence sounds funny too me.  Shouldn �t it be "A knee injury stopped him from playing in the World Cup."?  (prior to playing)

or perhaps:
 A knee injury stopped his playing in the World Cup.  (could be prior or during)

I �m not sure on this one, I jus have a gut feeling.

22 Jan 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

The phrase means "The knee injury prevented him from playing in the World Cup" otherwise ditto, Lynne.
(British English alsostop somebody/something doing something You can �t stop people saying what they think. (see under prevent here http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/stop)
Sophia

P.S. @Douglas: same here:) I�m used to American English more, so when a phrase sounds funny to me, I just assume it�s the British way of saying it and you know most of the times that�s exactly the case:)

22 Jan 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Agree with Lynne

Using from is optional in this case and using or not using from both sound natural to me.  Not sure if it �s a SBE v SAE thing.

2. Verbs of prevention:

Stop, prevent, hinder: 
These verbs are followed by �from� and an -ing structure. The word �from� is essential with hinder, optional with stop and prevent

Examples:
He hindered us from starting in time. 
He stopped me (from) falling in the hole. 
They prevented me (from) going out.

Cheers

Jayho

22 Jan 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

@Jayho...Shouldn �t it be "on tme"? Ed

22 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Ed, shouldn �t it be �on time �? Wink

22 Jan 2013