Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can you help me...    

Can you help me...

mariaolimpia
Portugal

Can you help me...

How do you say "Diretor de Turma" in English? Among the teachers of a class, in Portugal, there �s one with specific attributions. He/She receives the parents to inform them about their children �s behaviour and evaluation results, is closely related to the students, helping them solving problems, chairs the class council... Is he/she a tutor, a mentor...?

22 Jan 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

I don �t know if we have an exact correlation in English, at least in the USA. The closest that I can think of is a guidance counselor. A guidance counselor helps with special behavioral issues and helps students find the right classes and later, colleges. Sometimes guidance conselors can give special tests to students.

A tutor is someone that provides additional help to a student who has problems with one or more school subjects. A tutor might be a teacher or even another student who is strong in a subject.

A mentor is a person who helps a new student or new employee with non-academic issues. A school mentor, for example, might help a student register, find the way around the school, and talk about the best and worst teachers to have.

However, I work at a community college, not in the public schools. Maybe other colleagues would know more about such a position than I do. It �s also possible that a closer fit exists in other countries.

22 Jan 2013     

douglas
United States

I �m with Moody--I think I would call it a "counselor" or "guidance counselor".

23 Jan 2013     

Nina Pizzo
Portugal

I use the phrase "head of class (teacher)".

23 Jan 2013     

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

Hi there

I believe Douglas and Moody Moody have the right translation - I had the same doubt some time ago and, as my brother in law is American, he told me the closest equivalent is Counselor.

I don �t think  head of the class could be used in this situation...

Thank you all

23 Jan 2013     

mariaolimpia
Portugal

Thank you very much!

Hug Ol�mpia

23 Jan 2013