Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > HELP!    

HELP!

Mariethe House
France

HELP!

Nothing to do with esl resources  but I am sure someone might have some ideas!

My companion is an artist and has been asked to do a workshop on PAPER with a

group of twenty 7 / 9 year olds . He is not a teacher and is a bit worried about

1.handling all these kiddies

2. finding suitable activities

Does anyone of you know of a site where he could find ideas?
Thanks for your help.

22 Jan 2009      

arwenn
Slovenia

Try this:

It is useful website where you can get a lot of ideas how to handle small children.
I ordered Shelley�s book and I am very satisfied. It is great and you can find there many ideas.
If you want send me your contacts and I will try to send you some stuff from it, but i am not sure if these things will work there on your computer. If you have a possibility I suggest you to get the book. You will get it online so you can start working immediately after.

hope it helps Smile

Neja

22 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Good morning!!!
When I lived in the UK I taught this age group and we did an art theme on paper sculpture. It was successful every year we did it.
You need to have a base (some years it was square or  rectangle etc, my last one was a large circle, the biggest circle you can get from an A4 piece of card.)
Then the first part is showing the kids HOW you can cut and manipulate paper and card different ways by folding (accordion zig zags), cutting, (spirals) rolling, weaving strips, etc...and how to use the glue to make things stick. It is going to be an abstract piece of art at the and that can be displayed on the wall. (This is the cool part because it is 3D and comes out from the wall) Alternatively they look just as good displayed on a  table.
Also pieces can be joined to each other, layered etc to give different heights and points of interest.

We used PVA glue as it was sticky and strong enough to hold even the most difficult of ideas.

Google paper sculpture and paper art to have some awesome  and out of this world ideas displayed so that the children can see that using paper does not have to mean limiting your imagination in any way! (Make a powerpoint if you have access to a computer and screen or interactive whiteboard so the images can be shown and talked about there.

I wish I had some photos that I could have sent you, but I don�t have any sorry!

The big issues are going to be around management of the children such as choosing coloured paper , no cutting from the middle (you will be surprised at how many children will cut a small circle from the middle of an A4 piece of paper and discard the rest unless you specifically show them how to draw close to the edge to cut out a shape),  sharing, no hoarding etc
No walking around the room with scissors, sharing glue etc.
Its a really awesome and fun topic. Good luck :-)

edit: I would also encourage the room to be set up in small groups of tables and for the children to get into groups of 4/5 and then they are sharing with just their group. No need to be walking around etc and it is easier for them to work cooperatively with a small group than a large abstract one.

22 Jan 2009     

Mariethe House
France

What a super idea!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my request ! How wonderful this site is!! ( and you are too, of course!!)

I have just shown and translated your message to my companion and that�s it, you�ve done it!

It has triggered a lot of ideas and possibilities!

Had a good laugh too with the3D works of art coming off the wall! I think he�ll choose the display on the table!

Thank you ever so much! You can be sure I�ll contact you again when I need something creative!

Have a nice day!

Mariethe

22 Jan 2009     

jecika
Serbia

Hello Mariethe,
here is the link to the official site of Art Attack where you can find hundreds of Neil Buchanan�s fantastic ideas
http://www.hitentertainment.com/artattacK/menu_artattacks.html

You might also find Danielle�s Place of Crafts and Activities useful
http://www.daniellesplace.com/html/crafts.html

And maybe some origami projects for kids
http://www.origami-fun.com/origami-for-kids.html
http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/origami_for_kids.htm
http://www.tammyyee.com/origami.html

Have a nice day

22 Jan 2009     

Mariethe House
France

Thank you arwen too. The reference you gave will be very useful to me! I had a look ...

I will get the book!

Have a nice day and thanks a lot.

Mariethe

22 Jan 2009