Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > (to) ski + 3rd person    

(to) ski + 3rd person

Mietz
Germany

(to) ski + 3rd person

Could somebody tell me, what the 3rd person in the Present Simple of "(to) ski" is?
As usual - I find Google not conclusive. Is it "she skies" or "she skis"?

Thank you!!!

22 Jan 2009      

eliana
Portugal

As far as I�m concerned it�s skies because :

When a verb ends in y immediately preceded by a consonant, the y is changed to ie before the ending s is added which is the case : sky ends in "Y" preceded by a consonant

other cases: study/studies         fly/flies               carry/carries

22 Jan 2009     

eliana
Portugal

Well...now I�m not sure....I�ve searched on the web and people talk about the possiblity of using "skis"....but I�m sure about the rule....I don�t know if it applies to this verb in particular....can a native speaker say sth please?

22 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I�m with ladybird on this one too. :-)

22 Jan 2009     

jecika
Serbia

Hello Mietz,
according to the Collins Cobuild English dictionary the correct version is skis
Have a nice day

22 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I�m native :-) I don�t know why though. It just is.

22 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

LOL

22 Jan 2009     

Mietz
Germany

Wow - thank you all for your very quick answers! That helps so much!
Yes Cheezels ... how come you don�t know, why you are a native speaker? LOL

22 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I need some coffee ASAP Big smile

22 Jan 2009     

Mietz
Germany

@ Cheezels
Does coffee make you know, why you are a native? Wow - I should switch from drinking tea to coffee, if that makes me know amazing answers like that. Does coffee make me a native, too?
LOL

22 Jan 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Just because one is a native speaker does not mean that they know why a particular spelling or grammar point is so.  In fact, sometimes the worst person to ask about grammar is a native speaker.  I find that second language learners, who have had to grapple with the difficulties sometimes know far more about the language than native speakers.

Language is not so much a scientific or mathematical analysis with a consistent set of rules or variables, it is more biological.  Language can grow, can develop, evolve - it can even die.  It is an instinctive attribute that any baby, given the right environment can pick up just as easily as learning to walk.

Enough of the philosophical linguistic approach.  Ladybird is definitely right.  Why she is right, I don�t care.  As the Mom Song so beautifully puts it.  �Because I said so�

Keep taking the coffee, with a dash of whiskey and you will be speaking with an Irish accent quicker than you know it.

22 Jan 2009     

1    2    3    Next >