Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Get VS Take: Help please!    

Get VS Take: Help please!

kairyudo
Japan

Get VS Take: Help please!

Hello! I �d appreciate any info on how to explain the difference between get and take - the general rules... I figure one is take is a here to there action and get is a there to here one but what else? I �ve looked at definitions but I �m wondering if someone has an easier way of explaining it. :) Thanks!!

23 Jan 2013      

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

You mentioned the motion/action uses of "get" and "take".

As you said, "take" is "to have something and go somewhere with it" / "To be with someone (or animal) and to go somewhere with them (it)".

What else?

We often use "take" for experience words (verbs), like "take a bath" or "take a break" where there is no real direct action on an object.

We often use "get" where we could use "become". I get cold in winter / I get sick when I don �t eat well. I get bored in long classes - often with adjectives of course.

We often use "get" where we might use a passive in English. I will get told off for this (I will be told off for this) / I will get promoted for this (get = be).

There are more uses, but these came to mind most readily. I hope they help for now.

23 Jan 2013     

kairyudo
Japan

Oooo very helpful - Thank you!!

24 Jan 2013     

douglas
United States

roughly speaking (to keep it simple):
take-you initiate the action
get-you benefit from another �s action

24 Jan 2013     

rockthevinyl
United States

I agree with the above explanations.  There are so many uses, but douglas �s simplification might help clarify a basic difference.

24 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

There are many exceptions, but Douglas �s simplification is very helpful for a basic understanding, as he certainly intended.

Your initial post, kairyudo, talks about direction, but that distinction is between "take" and "bring", not "take" and "get".

Bruce

24 Jan 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hello, Kairyudo,

If you send me your email address in a PM, I will send you an Attachment of one of my Worksheets.  It shows, in pictures, the difference between:
To:From  Go:Come  Take:Bring  Send:Receive  House:Home
Les Douglas

24 Jan 2013