Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A question    

A question

ihtiyaryer
Turkey

A question

Is "going to go" structure (for future tense) true or false? "I am going to go to London" Is it okay?  help please...

29 Jan 2013      

macomabi
Portugal

Yes, it is.

29 Jan 2013     

valentinaper
Greece

It is grammatically correct, but I think it �s more common to use the present continuous form in this case, if we �re talking about an arrangement and not just a plan. Compare the following examples:

"Have you got any plans for the holiday?"
"I think I �m going to go to London, but I �m not sure."

"What are you doing for the holidays?"
"I �m going to London to visit my sister."

29 Jan 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

At least in the States, we use "going to go" and "going to" (as the present continuous of "go") almost interchangeably. "I �m going to go to London in April" sounds fine to me. (English colleagues might disagree; April may be a wretched time to go to London!) LOL

29 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

I agree with all the previous answers, and would like to add a humorous observation. Not only is "going to go" correct and widely used, but people are beginning to use the structure in different tenses, with funny results. I occasionally hear people say "We went to go to the movies" instead of "We went to the movies". They don �t realize that the "going to" is for forming the future, so it doesn �t make sense to use it in the past.

Bruce

29 Jan 2013     

jannabanna
France

Are you talking about American people Bruce or foreign students?!  It seems incredible to me that Americans make that type of mistake.

Janet

30 Jan 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I can think of a context where this isn �t a mistake: "The shopping center was so busy last Saturday, but we didn �t want to shop. We went to go to the movies."

30 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

You underestimate us, Janet! This is the country where "is is" has become almost standard usage, as in "The problem is is that this sentence has too many verbs". There are also many variations, as in "The point being is that..." and "The problem was is that...".  It �s my own countrymen who are saying it.

You �re right, of course, MoodyMoody, but your example is saying "we went (to the shopping center) to go to the movies". What I �m hearing occasionally is being used as a past tense of "going to go".

Bruce

30 Jan 2013