Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Gerunds..    

Gerunds..

yetigumboots
Germany

Gerunds..

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have a fool proof way to teach Gerunds? I have downloaded a few fantastic worksheets but when I start explaining it in class I seem to confuse everyone (including myself :)) Any tips would be very welcome. Thanks so much.

Yeti xx

30 Jan 2013      

Goreti Ponte
Portugal

Hi!
I �ve recently prepared a powerpoint on this topic that may help you. If you look for "Gerund" by Goreti Ponte you will find it easily.
Have a great day.

30 Jan 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

It  might be an idea, Jeanette, to stop thinking about �gerunds� entirely - the term, that is. I know I keep banging on about this, but trying to sustain the distinction between gerund and present participle can lead to serious brow-wrinkling and tantrums. Like so many others, I tend to refer to the -ing* form instead and look at function, grammaticality and so on. There are obviously differences in function (and category) between �Smoking cigarettes is bad for you �, �the reporters are looking for a smoking gun � and �Women smoking cigars is a common sight in Havana �. It �s not that difficult to teach that the first underlined example (�smoking cigarettes...�) functions as a subject with the -ing form as the head of a clause; no need to get into a fankle about �gerunds � and �participles �.

*this verb form is sometimes referred to as the gerund-participle, but that can be a bit clunky in class.

30 Jan 2013     

yetigumboots
Germany

Thanks Almaz, you are right, I think I am getting too wound up with the term itself. Thanks for the advice xx

31 Jan 2013