Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > chance or opportunity?    

chance or opportunity?

aldonza
Spain

chance or opportunity?

Hi there!

Sometimes there is a kind of overlapping between these two words.

Are they interchangable in the following sentences?

"You�ll have the opportunity/chance to ask questions at the end of the meeting"

"You�should take the opportunity /chance to travel while you�re still young"

Thanks in advance

31 Jan 2013      

EstherLee76
Peru

It seems to me that "opportunity" is more formal and "chance" is less formal.

31 Jan 2013     

anitarobi
Croatia

Yes, they �re synonymous, but in your examples I �d say this: opportunity to answer questions, meaning you will be given the opportunity (it will be organised for you), whereas chance to travel (because it may happen in all kinds of ways during your lifetime). At least I think so.
If you google chance vs. opportunity you�ll see lots of examples of the two words in different situations.

31 Jan 2013     

whitebear
Turkey

I think we use "chance" to do something, when something will happen, especially something you WANT, but "opportunity" - when it is EASY for you to do something.

31 Jan 2013     

maceman
Canada

I agree that opportunity would be the choice in both those sentences.
I recently Googled this because a student of mine asked me the same question.
Here is what I found.
In the case of chance, there is an implied element of risk, uncertainty and less control of the outcome. "You have a 1 in 10,000 chance of winning the lottery." "I met my friend by chance at the movies." "There is a chance it might snow tomorrow."
With opportunity there is an understanding that it is more definite, that the outcome will benefit you through your planning, control or management of the situation. "If you accept this teaching job, you will have the opportunity to travel."
Hope this helps a little.
Have a great day!

31 Jan 2013     

neil660
China

I wouldn �t confuse your poor student with unnecessary examples of the differences (although they do exist as maceman found). For now, I�d just advise him/her that the distinction is primarily one of formality, while explaining that there are a few collocations (such as by chance) that should be remembered. Unfortunately, far too many teachers do nothing less then stupefy students with reams of examples (as we�ve seen above with the extremely vague and questionable distinctions of asking vs answering questions).
You may also be interested that the majority of words with Greco-Latinate origins are generally more formal than those with their roots in Anglo Saxon (chance-opportunity; virile-manly, etc), but I wouldn�t mention that to you students unless they are particularly interested in language. 
Hope that helps.

31 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

I �d say that an opportunity is something that is made available to you, by plan or design, and a chance is something that just happens (or not).

I had an opportunity to apply for a supervisory position.

I had a chance to win $1,000,000.

This is not a hard rule, but a general guideline. As neil660 said, words from the classical languages are generally more formal than the Anglo-Saxon words, as well as longer.

Bruce

31 Jan 2013     

neil660
China

But isn �t that still confusing the issue? You can indeed say: 
I had the chance to apply for...
I had the opportunity to win...
I still prefer
a) Teacher, what �s the difference between "opportunity" and "chance"?
b) "Opportunity" is more formal. There are some other differences, but that �s the most important one.
If the student wants more, you could introduce a few of the collocations.

31 Jan 2013     

aldonza
Spain

Thank you all.

It was easier than it looked.
Cheers

1 Feb 2013