Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day Winner!    

Word of the Day Winner!

MoodyMoody
United States

Word of the Day Winner!

All right! This is more like it! There have now been the 10 responses that I was looking for, so I will choose a winner now. I liked all of the responses: Al Gore quotations, a French corset for a well-endowed woman, sexism in science fiction, WWII code word, a negative reaction from Tipper Gore to movies and TV, aliens who eat too much sugar and lose their teeth, unhappiness at the former lack of response for WoD, a code word for the LA Dodgers baseball team, and a Welsh shrub used by Druids.

Les, of course, recognized this word as a Welsh borrowing, although he played along and gave a false definition. The real definition is "a community or gathering of modern bards," and comes from the Welsh word for throne. I like role-playing games, such as Dungeons and Dragons, so I have attended a gorsedd in character.

I may have to read the Gor books Douglas mentioned some day; I have not seen those. If they are that sexist, though, I may get angry!

Politically, I want to pick a different answer, as Sophia picked mine earlier, but I really have to give this to Les/Idthemagicman. But I really enjoyed seeing the answers you came up with, and there were no stinkers in the lot. Great work everyone!

31 Jan 2013