Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Past perfect, past simple    

Past perfect, past simple

abba
Spain

Past perfect, past simple

Good afternoon, can we consider the following sentence correct...?

After we had dinner, we all were sitting down in the garden.

I �d say that we should change were sitting for sat, but I was just wondering if we could use past continuous.

Thanks 

4 Feb 2013      

elu�s
Argentina

your correction is right. Past Continuous is used when we have an idea in mind of the past simple. In this case, dinner is perfect, not simple. Thus, continuous is not apropriate if we consider the chronollogical order of events. Hope it helps. :)

4 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

In informal writing, what you have is fine, although I would say "we were all sitting" rather than "we all were sitting". In formal writing, the first clause should be "After we had had dinner". Also, in either case, I would also remove "down", unless it is indicating that the garden is at a lower level. "Sit down" is the action (sentarse, I think, in Spanish), while "sit" is positional (sentar).

Bruce

4 Feb 2013     

abba
Spain

You �re right yanogator, the example said �after we had had dinner �, it was my mistake at writing the sentence. Thanks a lot for your explanation.

4 Feb 2013     

abba
Spain

You �re right yanogator, the example said �after we had had dinner �, it was my mistake at writing the sentence. Thanks a lot to both of you for your explanation.
Bel�n

4 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

OK, abba, with that in mind, I �ll say "After we had had dinner, we were all sitting in the garden" or "After we had had dinner, we all sat in the garden". Either option is good (again, without "down").

Bruce

4 Feb 2013