Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Check my explanation     

Check my explanation

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Check my explanation

Dear members :

Can you check my explanation for the adverb: quite

Does it always mean a little before the adjectives and mean completely before the verbs??

e.g.
I quite like steak.

I am a student at quite a big school.

This explanantion confused me:

Wating to hear from you
:)

4 Feb 2013      

yanogator
United States

I would say "no" and "no" to your questions.

If I understand BrE as I think I do, "I quite like steak" means more than a little, but not  all the way to "completely". In the US, we would probably say "I like steak a lot". I could be wrong about this, though.

"quite a big school" means a very big school, not "a little" as you thought.

It is quite cold today = It is very cold today.

Bruce

4 Feb 2013     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thank you for your reply.

II hate that word.

How does it mean very and it makes the meaning of the adjectives weaker?!!!

4 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

It doesn �t make the meaning of the adjectives weaker. It �s no wonder this is confusing you. You have gotten some bad information somewhere.

Bruce

4 Feb 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Actually Bruce, if you look at this British Council link, you �ll see that they do say that quite can be used to make adjectives less strong http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/adjectives/mitigators.

Cheers

Jayho

4 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, Jayho. I didn �t know that BrE and AmE differed on that.
In the US, "It was quite easy" means "It was very easy". Not so in England. There it seems to be the equivalent of the US "It was pretty easy".

Bruce.

4 Feb 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I really can �t add much to Bruce �s explanation. In the affirmative (not negative), I would usually use quite only before adjectives or adverbs, meaning very or extremely. "I am quite certain that I paid my electric bill last month." "English and French form negatives quite differently."  

For verbs, I would usually use quite in the negative. "I don �t quite understand how British English uses �quite � differently." (Notice the single quotes. I do not mean very differently here; the quotations mean that I am treating "quite" as any word. If you know the term "meta-linguistic," that is how I am treating "quite.")

4 Feb 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Well, actually Bruce, I �m quite confused.Wink  Sometimes these issues really make me think and ponder and then I don �t know because downunder we use a mish mash of SAE and SBE

We probably need a true Brit to comment on using quite as a �mitigator � rather than as an intensifier.

Cheers

Jayho

4 Feb 2013