Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A doubt    

A doubt

daddou
Tunisia

Hi,everybody

The weather is really nice here at the moment. IS THE CORRECT OPTION
No doubt.

22 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Hi everybody,

This is quite simple to answer!!

When ��be�� as well as  have, smell, taste, feel, seem, appear, believe, understand, remember, know, think, etc appear as stative verbs ( verbs that usually refer to a state or condition which is not changing or likely to change)  the continuous form cannot be applied.

Therefore,  " a) The weather IS really nice here at the moment" is the correct sentence.

Hug

Miss Melissa.

(How I love ths kind of questions on the forums, we need more of these)

22 Jan 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I would have to agree with Goodnesses.  As a native speaker of English, I have never heard anyone refer to  "the weather being nice at the moment".  The weather is really nice  is the correct sentence.

22 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

The weather is really nice is correct.  The weather GODS ARE being nice would also be correct.  The weather is not a thinking entity that can decide to be nice or not--the weather GODS would be.

Douglas

22 Jan 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

The first, "....is nice", is unquestionably the correct option, whereas the second, "....is being", is according to my intuitions as a teacher who spent more than 10 years studying linguistics, awkward. I would never say something like that...

Are n�t you confusing has been and is being, the former being perfectly correcty?

Refer again to Goodness�  explanations which are axhaustive and very clear

Thank you all for your contributions

23 Jan 2009     

gaby_mn
United States

I guess a simple answer would be that BE is a STATIVE VERB, which by definition can�t be used in the progressive tense... If you have IS BEING, followed by a past participle verb, then it would be a correct PASSIVE VOICE statement,

23 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Right Gabymn, Its what I said-or tried to .
I like the way we cooperate with each other :)

23 Jan 2009     

< Previous   1    2