Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > WRITING ACTIVITY - THERE WAS/WERE    

WRITING ACTIVITY - THERE WAS/WERE

mariliamartinsribeiro
Brazil

WRITING ACTIVITY - THERE WAS/WERE

Hi my dear friends,
My 5th grade sts are studying there was/were and their coursebook doesn �t bring a writing activity about this topic. Could you please suggest a writing task or a project idea with this grammar structure? It would be really helpful. 
Thanks a lot!
Cheers from Brazil
Mar�lia

7 Feb 2013      

EstherLee76
Peru

I have often seen tasks where you compare your city to the way it was 100 years ago (i.e. There were horses; there were more trees; there was less traffic. etc.)

7 Feb 2013     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I have my students write out a dialogue.  It consists of  student, an interviewer and the name of a famous person.  It goes like this:

Were you away last week?

Where were you?

Were you in Paris the whole time?

How long were you away?

How was it?

How was the weather?

Were you there on business or on vacation?

Who was with you with?

Was Bono interesting?

Why was Bono in Paris?

Where was Bono born?

Was this Bono�s first time in Paris?

Was the Paparazzi after you?

For there was - there were I have them write a little dialogue about a party such as:

A.  Where were you last night?

B.  At a party.

A.  Were there a lot of people?

B.  No, there weren�t.

A.  How many people were there?

B.  There were 10 people.

A.  Was Jane there?  etc.

7 Feb 2013     

SVieira
Portugal

Following the line of thought EstherLee76 suggested, you can try to make things more personal for your ss and have them ask someone older (a grandparent, an older friend of their parents, a neighbour,...) what life was like when they (the older ones) were about the same age as your ss.
To help them, you can give them some guidelines as to what they should ask about: school, transport, roads, cities, wild animals showing up (e.g. - there were wolves that sometimes attacked herds) / insects (e.g. - there were a lot more mosquitoes), food according to the season of the year (variety of items available), services (e.g. - library, banks), cvommunication (telephones, cell phones, radio, computers and internet, ...).
If ss don �t have an available grandparent, parents might also do the trick...

8 Feb 2013     

mariliamartinsribeiro
Brazil

Thanks a lot for your help! Cheers!

8 Feb 2013