Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can you help me?    

Can you help me?

veronika74
Hungary

Can you help me?

Can we use the short form of �are � after �What �? e.g. What �re those?
I have never seen this sentence before.

Thanks,

Veronika

7 Feb 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

I hear this only in casual conversation. I don �t believe that "what �re" is considered standard English.

7 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

and I wouldn �t use it in writing, except in quoted speech.

Bruce

7 Feb 2013     

Zora
Canada

Goodness no. I agree that in conversation you might hear something similar but that is because some people have the tendency to naturally shorten their words or not pronounce certain letters. 

7 Feb 2013     

douglas
United States

okay, if this is true what about: "what �s your problem?"  yes or no?

If yes, why is it okay with one form of to be and not the other?

8 Feb 2013     

Zora
Canada

Well, I �d say why can �t you contract �I �m not � as �I amn �t �  or �there are - there �re �- you can �t. I am sure there is a reason somewhere but often we just have to say �that �s the way it is �! lol

Honestly I think it has to do with the fact that � �s �  on a word is easier to say than �re - or at least that �s what I used to tell people. I don �t know if that explanation is right or wrong, but most times the students seemed ok with the answer.

8 Feb 2013