Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > "WORD of the DAY" Competition, 10/02/2013    

"WORD of the DAY" Competition, 10/02/2013

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"WORD of the DAY" Competition, 10/02/2013

Dear Members,

Today�s �Word of the Day� is:

�Misodoctakleidist�

Let�s have your definitions.

Sensible or senseless; worthy or worthless; tasteful or tasteless; useful or useless; arty or artless; cheerful or cheerless; thoughtful or thoughtless; brainy or brainless; stylish or style-less; careful or careless; weighty or weightless; pitiful or pitiless; valuable or valueless; humorous or humourless; soulful or soulless; pointed or pointless; meaningful or meaningless; cirro-nimbus or cirro-cumulus;  Les Douglas or Des Lugless; more and more or less and less � � � �

Well, you get the idea, don�t you!

All the Best!

Les Douglas

9 Feb 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

Misodoctakleidist: a fashion designer who specializes in clothing with depressing messages

Mis(o): short for miserable
doc(t): short for document
kleid: German word for dress
ist: person

9 Feb 2013     

Jayho
Australia

A Misodoctakleidist

is a fellow as-usual-unprepared colleague who likes to  �accidently� spill miso soup (or anything liquid really) on the eslprintables handouts you have painstakingly spent your morning break photocopying because, as usual, they wanted a copy of it and you, as usual, have been suggesting they upload printables so they too can gain the many benefits of the site. They take but never give back ...

I�m sure we all know one or two Misodoctakleidists Wink

Cheers

Jayho

9 Feb 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

a young lady who loves to dress up as a doctor........

10 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

A misodoctakleidist is a person. So far, so good. He or she is usually myopic and shambolic, an unfortunate combination. (I should know!). They are always shuffling papers, usually borrowed or nicked from other colleagues, putting them down in inappropriate places - other colleagues � desks, under the chairs in the staffroom, etc and then, not bothering to pick them up! This causes clutter, in some cases, mountains of papers to accrue, to everybody �s annoyance. These misodoctakleidists don �t worry, they just move on, heads down, to the next set of papers. 

Here is the breakdown:
Mis - mislay 
doc - documents
tackle - doesn �t tackle the problem
leid (pronounced lyde) short for backslider. 

Lynne 

10 Feb 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Misodoctakleidist is a person (one of your friends maybe:) who is very organized and always gets after you when you miss your doctor �s appointment (again!) and tells you to tackle your idiosity and start making lists of things to do just like they do and never miss anything.
Sophia

10 Feb 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Les, everytime you propose a new word I think about the possibility of doing the "Harakiri"  with my english dictionary Wacko

Misodoctakleidist: It �s how I feel when I miss my beautiful and gorgeous doctor Miss Klein

10 Feb 2013     

GAZA_CHILD
Palestine

Misodoctakleidist = a female  doctor who advises males on how to tackle ladies 

10 Feb 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

�Misodoctakleidist�  can be a person who hates (miso) being treated (miso, tackle) by physicians (doct) dressed (kleid) in their uniform. In other words, it �s a patient suffering from doctor-dress phobia.  

10 Feb 2013     

miyoko71
Morocco

miso=not good
doc=doctor
takle=do with
eidist=eid in arabic is a religious feast , let �s say sacrifice feast
so "Misodoctakleidist" is a doctor  whose speciality is to cure those people who eat a lot of meat the first day of sacrifice feast so that they have stomach troubles

10 Feb 2013     

elderberrywine
Germany

It �s a secretary who was fired because her typing was so lousy and who is now suffering from depression and going through five packets of tissue per day, due to her crying endlessly.

To tell you the truth, her mother had always told her where her loose ways during secretarial college were going to lead her - if all you think about is men and color varieties of nail varnish you are bound to miss out on your typing, miss important parts of the class, remain clueless etc.
But then, who listens to mothers.
So there she is, the poor clueless  misodoctakleidist , sobbing her heart out and convinced she �ll never find another job. 
Which she won �t, this one was her last chance-

11 Feb 2013