Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > "Word of the Day", 10/02/2013, Revisited    

"Word of the Day", 10/02/2013, Revisited

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"Word of the Day", 10/02/2013, Revisited

Dear Members,

Today�s �Word of the Day� is:

�Misodoctakleidist�

Let�s have your definitions.

Sensible or senseless; worthy or worthless; tasteful or tasteless; useful or useless; arty or artless; cheerful or cheerless; thoughtful or thoughtless; brainy or brainless; stylish or style-less; careful or careless; weighty or weightless; pitiful or pitiless; valuable or valueless; humorous or humourless; soulful or soulless; pointed or pointless; meaningful or meaningless; cirro-nimbus or cirro-cumulus; Les Douglas or Des Lugless; more and more or less and less � � � �

Well, you get the idea, don�t you!

Les Douglas

10 Feb 2013      

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

"Miso..." is a soup in Japan,

"dockta..." is a doctor in the east end of London,

"klei..." is that stuff we make pots from, you know earthenware and-the-like,

and "...dist" is "showed me disrespect" heard in American TV shows.

So, �Misodoctakleidist�  is a doctor who puts (soup) paste in clay pots in a disrespectful manner in the east end of London, whose shows are then aired in America, isn �t it?

10 Feb 2013     

douglas
United States

At first look on would think this word had to do with the Heinrich Heine University �s revocation of German Education Minister Schavan �s PhD--but that is not so.

Today is Rosenmontag-the high point of German Fasching (carnival)--the key to understanding the meaning this wonderful word. The Fasching tradition involves people dressing up in costumes and "playing the fool" one last time before the beginning of lent. 

These days the trend for women is to dress VERY provactively(cheap).  Some of these costumes truly leave a person speechless and that is where the word misodoctakleidist finds its place in our English language.

One fine Rosenmontag a young Englishman was suffering from a toothache (perhaps a result of the overly-sweet schnapps he had partaken of at a parade on the previous day).  In great agony, he headed to his dentist.  He really liked this dentist because she was young and extremely attractive, but a highly skilled dentist as well.

In route to the dentist �s office, our young Englishman spotted an attractive German reveler and wanted to try his German language skills by complimenting her on the (apparently 3 sizes too small) dress she was wearing. He remembered that the proper sentence would be: "Ihre Kleid ist wunderh�bsch."

While attempting the compliment he realized the beautiful seductress before him was actaully his dentist and was left speechless with the realization.  It came out something like this:

"Miss...Oh! Doctor!--your Kleid ist..." Our poor Englishman then stood speechless, gawking at this beautiful creature that would soon be sadistically subjecting him to unimaginably painful injections and drillings

11 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@ Douglas - I hope our young Englishman needs a root canal filling and three extractions. Wink

11 Feb 2013     

elderberrywine
Germany

I think Douglas needs this treatment the way he treats us poor Germans!  Wink

11 Feb 2013     

isa2
Austria

A German couturier hating doctors thus designing ugly, chokingly green outfits.

11 Feb 2013     

douglas
United States

>>Elderberrywine-I see no mistreatment of the Germans here, I absolutely love Fasching and the statement of freedom that it makes and, being a red-blooded, breathing man, I enjoy the risque costumes as well.

13 Feb 2013