Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllppppppppppppp    

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllppppppppppppp

mametmidou
Algeria

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllppppppppppppp

can anyone help me to know the meaning of this proverb : "let the cat out of the bag"  thank youuuuuuuu

13 Feb 2013      

pilarnavarro
Spain

To reveal information that was supposed to remain secret or hidden .

13 Feb 2013     

yasmin tounsi
Tunisia

to tell something that is a secret, often without intending to

13 Feb 2013     

mvblair
United States

Yeah, that �s definitely a weird one. That �s also an idiom that is actually used in English. I just looked up the origin of that phrase. Apparently, some salesmen would replace sell baby pigs in marketplaces, but put cats in the bag instead. Then, if the cat got out of the bag, the buyers would no that the seller was lying!

13 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, it �s to reveal something that is secret which will cause chaos; something really capable of causing a lot of trouble/making mischief.

13 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Lynne �s more thorough explanation. It �s not just revealing a secret (that would be "to spill the beans"), but specifically to cause trouble (or some negative consequence) by revealing a secret.

Bruce

13 Feb 2013     

Poppingdale
Portugal

Of course the revelation of that secret would cause trouble! Can you imagine how furious the cat would be?!? ehehaheh

13 Feb 2013