Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Special place    

Special place

kissnetothedit
Hungary

Special place

Dear Friends!
What �s the name of a special place where you can eat pancakes? Is it a caf�...?
I would be very grateful for your help!
Hugs, Edit

14 Feb 2013      

edrodmedina
United States

Restaurants that serve breakfast serve pancakes but restaurants called diners in the States are known for pancakes amongst other breakfast foods. Ed

14 Feb 2013     

mvblair
United States

Well, in the US, I think we just say "restaurant." However, there is a popular and very famous chain of pancake restaurants called "The International House of Pancakes," or just "IHOP." So, sometimes we say "let �s go to the pancake house" when we are talking about pancake restaurants. Can anybody else from the US confirm or deny this? Do we have a special word? --Matt

14 Feb 2013     

mvblair
United States

And what Ed said! Smile

14 Feb 2013     

Pelletrine
France

Dear Edit,

as far as I can see ( The Free Dictionary :  http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Creperie )
the french word is used in English too, to design the place where you can have a pancake dinner : �creperie �
crepe, in French is �pancake � in English

Hope it helps
have a good Valentine evening
pelletrine

14 Feb 2013     

Pelletrine
France

........ but that might not be true in the States...

14 Feb 2013     

kissnetothedit
Hungary

Thank you very much for your explanations! They helped a lot! Nice evening/morning/afternoon!And happy Valentine �s Day!
Big hugs, Edit

14 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Creperie.

14 Feb 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Yes, I have never heard the term creperie before today. People here sometimes eat crepes, but they aren �t the most popular form of pancake here in the States. Also, someone would call it a "craperie" which has somewhat disgusting overtones. Look up "crap" if you don �t understand the pun.

14 Feb 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

There �s a difference between sweet and savoury cr�pes - it�s basically the difference between wheat flour and buckwheat flour (bl� noir), although you �ll find both in a genuine Breton cr�perie. The savouries are delicious with a wee flagon of farm cider by the way.

14 Feb 2013     

Jayho
Australia

In Oz we just say restaurant or cafe, depending on which one it is.  Often we �ll casually say the pancake place. 

We do have a few creperies but generally people don �t use that word.  They �ll just say the crepe place.

Cheers

Jayho

14 Feb 2013     

1    2    Next >