Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Velovity    

Velovity

Hamidou2008
Morocco

Velovity

Hi colleagues,
  Can anyone tell me about the adjective from velocity? Thanks in advance

14 Feb 2013      

florimago
Spain

it�s velocious

14 Feb 2013     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

Velocity (noun) means speed in layman �s terms. It is used mainly in Physics - Velocity = Mass times acceleration.

If I wanted an adjective which expressed the idea of velocity, I would say speedy, fast, swift.

Hope that helps
Cindy

14 Feb 2013     

Hamidou2008
Morocco

thanks

14 Feb 2013     

florimago
Spain

velocious

Main Entry:
express[ik-spres] Show IPA
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: direct, speedy
Synonyms: accelerated, fast, high-speed, nonstop, quick, rapid, swift, velocious
Antonyms: indirect, slow

14 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

"velocious" might be correct, but it is highly uncommon. I can �t think of a common adjective form of the noun velocity.

Bruce

14 Feb 2013     

Jayho
Australia

I�ve never even heard of velocious before now (apart from a company name), so doubt whether many even use this word in everyday conversation.  My copy of the Australian National Dictionary, which has 200,000 definitions, does not include it.  Nor do most online dictionaries I use.  So, my recommendation is to not use it unless you want to draw a big blank stare.

Agree with Bruce and Cindy�s suggestion.

Cheers

Jayho

14 Feb 2013     

douglas
United States

I �m with the others, I have never heard of "velocious" even though Webster �s does have it in their unabridged dicitonary ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/velocious ).

Even so, I would say that there is no adjective form of "velocity".  To me it is kind of like asking "What is the adjective form of panda bear?"  (comparing apples and oranges).

Velocity does not necessarily refer to being fast, it can also refer to how slow something is.  So, "fast" or "swift" doesn �t fully encompass the meaning of velocity.

Cheers,
Douglas

15 Feb 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, �velocious � is an archaism (although it does mean �rapid � or �swift �), but if Hamidou is simply looking to use �velocity � to modify another noun, there �s no problem as long as it �s in the attributive position: velocity pressure etc. It can �t be used in the predicative (we can �t say pressure is velocity).

15 Feb 2013     

Apodo
Australia

@douglas  Isn �t the adjectival form of �panda bear �  panda bearish?
She looks very panda bearish in her black and white outfit. LOL

But I agree there is no common adjective used for the word �velocity �.

15 Feb 2013     

Hamidou2008
Morocco

Thank you all dear colleague. I appreciate  all your answers. I asked the question because I personally have never hear about an adjective from the word.

15 Feb 2013