Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "Educazione alla cittadinanza" in English    

"Educazione alla cittadinanza" in English

Lancillotta:
Italy

"Educazione alla cittadinanza" in English

Hello ,

my question is related to the theme �school subjects�.

In Italy we have a subject called �educazione alla cittadinanza�, which in French would be �education � la citoyennet� . How do you say it in English?

Thanks for your answers,

Have a nice Sunday,

Sabrina

17 Feb 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

As a regular school subject in the USA, we call classes about how the government works "civics." However, my community college also teaches citizenship classes to adults who come here from other countries and need to pass the citizenship test.

17 Feb 2013     

maceman
Canada

Hello
We teach a class in Canada simply called the Citizenship Class. Much the same as Moody Moody �s response, this class prepares learners to take the Canadian citizenship test.
Have a great day!

17 Feb 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

If it �s a school subject wouldn �t it correspond to social studies though? In my country, this "Hromadianska Osvita" (Citizenship Education) course in primary would include topics which relate more to ethics and what society is and what �s a person �s role in it and how that relates to one �s country. What about Italy?
Sophia

17 Feb 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

In the USA, social studies refers to not only civics, but history, geography, psychology, economics, etc., any study of humans. I wasn �t 100% certain exactly what Lancillotta was asking, so I tried to answer the two questions I saw. Sophia, the class you are describing is very similar to civics.

17 Feb 2013     

Lancillotta:
Italy

Hello

thanks for all your answers.

In Italy �Educazione alla cittadinanza� is a subject;  students study Italian laws. They can also make connections with laws that exist in other countries and compare them.

"Social study" refers, as in USA,   to any study of humans.

18 Feb 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks for the feedback:)
Sophia

18 Feb 2013