Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day (WOD) week 8a, 2013    

Word of the Day (WOD) week 8a, 2013

douglas
United States

Word of the Day (WOD) week 8a, 2013

Thank you Ed for selecting me as the winner of the WOD.  Fess-up, you and your cousin used to fight over who got to wear the Daisy Duke Underroos. Wink

The new Word of the Day will probably not contribute much to any of us better-mastering the English language, but it has some potential for being fun.  The latest Word of the Day is:

Beardtongue

The goal of the WOD game is to stimulate creativity and maybe learn a little in the process.

The way to play is to make-up a definition of what the word could mean--no dictionary/web definitions.  Initially, the idea was to try and guess the meaning of the word, but it has developed into something else.  In order to maintain tradition, I will also consider any serious definition that attempts to properly define Beardtongue as well.

(I will announce the winner sometime this week.)

Cheers,
Douglas

18 Feb 2013      

almaz
United Kingdom

Verb, noun, beloved of boozebags everywhere; used to describe that Sunday morning feeling after a night on the razz. �I was totally beardtongued when I woke up this am, man�. �Pint of Fernet Branca, my man. I �ve got a beardtongue on me that would frighten a camel�.

18 Feb 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Beardtongue is the way you feel when you discover a nasty thick hair in the  food you are about to finish and the waiter �s pet is a skunk Dead

18 Feb 2013     

valentinaper
Greece

A verb used to mean "say sth a million times", meaning you say sth so many times that your tongue has grown hair. Especially useful when you want to add to the triumphant phrase "I told you so!"

e.g. I beardtongued you not to go out with this loser, but you wouldn �t listen, would you? Now, you �re sitting here, crying your heart out! Well, whose fault is it?! (probably mother to daughter Wink)

18 Feb 2013     

huddersboy
Japan

"Beardtongue" When a male (usually a celebrity) loses his facial hair and becomes a lot more attractive to the opposite sex eg "George Clooney is such a beardtongue"

18 Feb 2013     

alex1968
Greece

Being a scuba diver I recognised this word at once...It �s scuba diving slang and usually used amongst diving instructors and dive masters.

It �s something like teaching English...you always have those teachers who try to pass off some of their "weak" badly-behaved students onto you (I know, I have one of those teachers at my school!!!) in some sneaky type of manner.  Well, it �s exactly the same in diving.

B = bad boyancy (sb who �s always bobbing up & down under surface)
ear = ear problems (if you have ear or sinis problems, blocked nose etc you can �t dive)
dt = diving technique
on = on
gue = guided underwater exploration

So, beardtongue is someone who is a really crappy diver, creates numerous problems on the dive, spoils the fun and is every diving instructors/dive masters headache.

A typical conversation would go something like this:
"Oh no, here comes that beardtongue again.Exclamation  Quick! Look busy! Say that your group is full.  Pass him onto that new diving instructor, what �s-his-name!"Handshake

19 Feb 2013     

elderberrywine
Germany

It �s an Indonesian name for old maidens, for women who never got married on account of their being intelligent, sharp-tongued, critical and having a mind of their own.

Calling someone a beardtongue is both mocking and respectful

Traditionally, women didn �t have a mind of their own and always agreed to what their fathers, husbands and brothers said. If you wanted to have your own opinion and state it, if you wanted to have a say in matters and to speak up, you had to have male attributes showing you were a man - like a BEARD.

So someone who thinks and talks like a man has a tongue like a man, has a beardtongue.

(And please , take those grins off your faces as you think of other male attributes that luckiy didn �t get mixed into the expression!!  Indonesians would be much too chaste to think or speak along those lines!)

19 Feb 2013