Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How can I help those students who don ´t pronounce "since" correctly?    

How can I help those students who don ´t pronounce "since" correctly?

[email protected]
Spain

How can I help those students who don ´t pronounce "since" correctly?

Hi dear friends!
I teach 1� ESO, 3� ESO and 2� Bach in Spain. I have no problem with 1� ESO students because when they don ´t know how to pronounce a word we play like this: When I move my left hand they say the word in English, when I move my right hand they say the word in Spanish. I may move my left hand 6 times in a row, and then the other one, or interchangeably They love it and they learn. However,  this game doesn ´t help with 3� ESO students.Obviously,mistakes are an inseparable part of the learning process, but what can we do when these mistakes become "fossilized errors"? They pronounce "since"  /sains/, dont know how to tell them it ´s /sins/

Thanks 4 your tips

19 Feb 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

Unfortunately, English has exceptions to just about every "rule" (really, guideline). My guess is that you taught your students that "if a word ends in silent e and the last syllable is accented, the vowel is long." You have (another exception) to give (still another) them the information that the rule (follows the rule) isn ´t always right. You can tell your students that the average English speaker will interpret /sains/ as signs /sainz/, not since /sins/. For that matter, I hope (rule) that you are teaching the short i rather than a long e in the word. If I heard long e, I would interpret that as scenes!

19 Feb 2013     

[email protected]
Spain

thank you

20 Feb 2013