Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > GRAMMAR CONFUSION    

GRAMMAR CONFUSION

om yassine
Tunisia

GRAMMAR CONFUSION

DEAR COLLEAGUES I NEED YOUR HELP CONCERNING MULTIPLE CHOICE EXERCISE
WHICH IS TH CORRECT ANSWER
EXPERTS INDICATED THAT TO( KNOW / KNOWING/ KNOWLEDE )ABOUT THE BRAIN AND MEMORY IS IMPORTANT FOR LIFELONG LEARNING.

21 Feb 2013      

Lancillotta:
Italy

Hello,I would say " KNOW".

Have a nice day,
Sabrina

21 Feb 2013     

libertybelle
United States

There are 3 possible answers, but only if you remove a word:

answer 1
EXPERTS INDICATED THAT TO KNOW ABOUT THE BRAIN AND MEMORY IS IMPORTANT FOR LIFELONG LEARNING.

Answer 2
EXPERTS INDICATED THAT KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE BRAIN AND MEMORY IS IMPORTANT FOR LIFELONG LEARNING.

Answer 3
EXPERTS INDICATED THAT KNOWING ABOUT THE BRAIN AND MEMORY IS IMPORTANT FOR LIFELONG LEARNING.

In answers 2 and 3- you would have to remove the word "to"

by the way - knowledge is spelled like this and not like you wrote above!

21 Feb 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I agree with Lancillotta and libertybelle that you have to use "know" with to, but I honestly prefer "knowledge" (without the to). In this context, "to know" sounds awkward and stilted. "Knowing" is a solid second choice. "To know" is grammatically correct, but just doesn �t sound right to me. I can �t speak for libertybelle, but my guess is that she agrees with me and that �s why she included the other statements.

21 Feb 2013     

jannabanna
France

As there is already "to" in the sentence, the only possible answer is "know" and as a native speaker it doesn �t sound stilted at all to me. 
Janet

22 Feb 2013