Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > possessive´s    

possessive´s

lucile
France

possessive´s

Hello, everybody !
a colleague asked me a question and I must confess that I can�t help her, neither another colleague. It�s about possessive �s. Here it is :

What would you write ? : - "The actress�s dress" or "the actress� dress" ?

Thank you for your help

Lucile

23 Jan 2009      

Zora
Canada

I believe the rule is if the word is plural/ ends in "s" we use just the apostrophe.

Example:

The actress� house.

The boys� mother.

23 Jan 2009     

MartaZ
Poland

Hi,

I�m afraid it�s rather �The actress�s dress�.

M. Swan (in his Practical Grammar Usage) says that you can sometimes add an apostrophe to a singular noun ending in -s, but rather to older and foreign names (e.g. Socrates� ideas). But �s is a more common form:
e.g. Denis�s horrible wife
      Dickens�s novels
      Tess�s famiy
      James�s car
      the boss�s office

and therefore actress�s dress :)

Best!

Marta

23 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

It�s actress�s --possesive is one of the first items covered in Strunk and White�s grammar guide ("THE" US standard for about 70 years).  If I remember right it has to do with the double vs single consonant.

Douglas

23 Jan 2009     

Minie
France

Hello !

I would say: the actress�s dress, but the actresses� dresses
Cheers !
Minie

23 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

A direct quote from wikipedia on the possesive:

basic rule (singular nouns)

For most singular nouns the ending �s is added; e.g., the cat�s whiskers.

• If a singular noun ends with an /s/ or a /z/ sound (spelled with -s, -se, -z, -ce, for example), practice varies as to whether to add �s or the apostrophe alone. A widely accepted practice is to follow whichever spoken form is judged better: the boss�s shoes, Mrs Jones� hat (or Mrs Jones�s hat, if that spoken form is preferred). In many cases, both spoken and written forms differ between writers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe#Possessive_apostrophe

23 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

There is a lot of controversy on this all over the web.  I tend to follow Strunk and White (probably the most used grammar guide in US Universities).

I found this interesting little tidbit at:

http://www.legalwritingpro.com/articles/C15-feeling-possessive.php

When the Supreme Court reviewed Kansas v. Marsh last term, the justices didn�t just split over whether to uphold a Kansas death-penalty statute.

They also disagreed over a usage issue that has driven many lawyers to blows: Whether to write �Kansas� statute,� as Justice Thomas did in his majority opinion, or �Kansas�s statute,� as Justice Souter did in his dissent. �

Souter may have lost the substantive battle, but he won this stylistic war: Nearly all authorities agree that if you want to make a possessive out of a singular noun like Kansas that ends in an s, you need to add �s at the end. Just call it �Ross�s Rule.�

Better yet, remember it as Strunk & White�s �First Rule,� which it�s been since that classic�s first edition:

Form the possessive singular of nouns by adding �s.

Exceptions: Classical or biblical names, such as Moses, which take only an apostrophe: Moses�.

23 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Here is a quote from Swan�s �Practical English Usage�, 3rd ed.

spelling

We sometimes just add an apostrophe (�)  to a singular noun ending in -s, especially in literary and classical references.

Socrates� ideas. Dickens� novels

But (�s) is more common.

Mr Lewis�s dog

We can add�s or � to a whole phrase.

the man next door�s wife
Henry the Eighth�s six wives
the Smiths� new house

Note the difference between, for example:

Joe and Ann�s children (one lot of children: Joe and Ann are their parents)
Joe�s and Ann�s children (two separate lots of children: Joe�s and Ann�s)

However, in spoken English you will find the additional (�s) is dropped by many speakers.

Cheers,
ab

24 Jan 2009