Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

help

Hi all, please, help to complete the idiom:
"rain someone �s ....a. leg; b. hand; c. neck; d. foot; e. brains?
urgent, please

25 Feb 2013      

yanogator
United States

I �m guessing that you heard this, rather than reading it. I think you want "wring someone �s neck".

Bruce

26 Feb 2013     

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

Hello, dear yanogator,
This question was given in a test for the 11 grade students,
it was written: "rain"Wacko

26 Feb 2013     

lewisronaldc
United States

As a native English speaker from the States,  I agree with Bruce because none of the answers given make any sense.    You could rain on someone �s parade

Ron

26 Feb 2013     

trapalhoni
Portugal

Could it be the expression: "To rack one �s brains"-  to strain mentally to recall or to understand something?

26 Feb 2013     

zinaida954
Russian Federation

I think the answer is "brains" but I �m not sure now because the native speaker gives another variant.

26 Feb 2013     

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

Thank you, dear friends.

26 Feb 2013     

Daisee
Vietnam

could it be

(d)rain someone �s brains???

26 Feb 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

rain on somebody �s parade?

26 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

Yes, I also thought of "to rack someone �s brain" (although I �ve always seen it with the singular "brain"). Anyway, "rain" doesn �t work with any of the choices.

It could be that the person who prepared the test heard it and wrote it incorrectly.

Bruce

26 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The only idioms I know with rain are �to rain on someone �s parade � and �to rain cats and dogs �.   Could they mean �rein � as in �to rein someone in � or �hand over the reins �? Other than that, I agree with the others that it must be a mistake. 

26 Feb 2013