Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Botellón    

Botellón

mjpa
Spain

Botellón

Is there any expression which you, native speakers of English, use to refer to the "Botell�n"?  I mean, the social gathering in the streets where young people meet to drink in a cheap way. How would you translate that?

28 Feb 2013      

inglesaenmadrid
Spain

As far as I know there isn �t a set expression like there is in Spanish. If kids get together in parks with cheap booze, we tend to say that they �hang out/get together drinking �. I think one of the main reasons there isn �t an expression is because it �s too cold in the UK to do this! People tend to drink at private house parties instead if they are under-age. Hope this helps!

28 Feb 2013     

florimago
Spain

yes, I agree with inglesaenmadrid.I think there �s not a expresssion for that in English cause, you know, it seeems like we�re unique in "very special senses" . I �d translate it as "street drinking"

Flori

28 Feb 2013     

EstherLee76
Peru

In the States, it �s pretty illegal to drink in public.  I have heard the "House Party" term as well.

28 Feb 2013     

spinney
United Kingdom

Bottle party. However, there is nothing that compares to the Spanish version. A bottle party tends to be a party that is held indoors where everybody brings a bottle of something. The Spanish botellon is outdoors with at least a thousand poeple. That would translate into English as "Public disorder." 

28 Feb 2013     

aldonza
Spain

and what about "binge-drinking" or "binge-drinking party"?

28 Feb 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

Some people drink everyday. Some people drink ocassionally. A binge drinker drinks ocassionally, like during the weekend, but in great excess. College students are known to binge drink at times. Ed

28 Feb 2013     

spinney
United Kingdom

I remember when "binge-drinking" was called "getting drunk." Confused

1 Mar 2013     

douglas
United States

No we don �t have a word for it.  "Hanging out and getting drunk" is probbaly the best translation.  If it is 1000 people or more (like Spinney said) then it is a "block party" or "Street Party".

Spinney--it wasn �t binge drinking if you did it everyday Big smile

1 Mar 2013     

mjpa
Spain

Thanks a lot for all your answers. 

1 Mar 2013