Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > true or false?    

true or false?

pilarnavarro
Spain

true or false?

Good afternoon dear mates. I �m preparing reading - comprehension exams for my students. I �ve come across a text that it �s suitable to my needs, but .....Here comes my problem:

The last part of the text, which is about the Alhambra,  says    And so the incredible neglect continued, until 1870 when the Alhambra was declared a national monument. Since that date and up to now, the Alhambra has been protected and preserved for the pleasure and admiration of all.

One of the questions is saying  if some statements are True or False.

1. The Alhambra has been restored so that it can be visited by everybody. 

Is this statement  true or false according to the extract shown above?  
Are "preserve" and  "restore" synonyms? 

28 Feb 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

they are not quite synonymous
preserve means that something is kept in its original state
while restore means that something is repaired so it is brought back to its original state.
If you�re not sure about the answer to the question and you think it might be ambiguous for your students, why not rephrase it or change it all together?
Sophia

28 Feb 2013     

titine69
France

I would say that the statement is true because if the monument has been protected and preserved,it must have been restored at one time or another .To protect a monument,sometimes you need to restore it.But as Sophia said,it is quite ambiguous .
Titine

28 Feb 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

Preserve and restore are not synonymous. Restore means basically to fix and bring back to a better state. Preserve means to maintain it in the state that it is in. Ed

28 Feb 2013     

pilarnavarro
Spain

I �ve googled for "restorations in the Alhambra" and, actually, there have been quite a few.
 It �s something that we all Spanish people know for sure.
 The problem is that maybe the people that wrote the text (adapted from another source) didn �t choose the proper words. 

Thank you a lot for your suggestions (wise as ever)Clap. I �ll rephrase it so as not to mistake my poor students

28 Feb 2013