Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > chess players, help me please :)    

chess players, help me please :)

ELOJOLIE274
France

chess players, help me please :)

good morning :)

I �ve been reading George R. R. Martin �s short story collection Dreamsongs and there �s an expression I understand but don �t know how to say aloud...
in one of the short story, the character talks to his wife about a chess tournament he played back in college.
there were 8 rounds, and at the beginning of the last round his team �s score was 5 - 2.
above his team 3 teams had the following score 5 1/2-1/2
but how do you say that? I understand what it means (in a round 2 of the 4 players won, the other 2 lost, so they neither won nor lost the round), but i �d like to be able to say it aloud... shouldn �t it be 5 1/2-1 1/2???
this is the extract I �m refering to:
"Going into the last round, the University of Chicago was in first place, alone, with a 6-1 match record. [...] Behind them were three other schools at 5 1/2-1/2. [...] Then you had a whole bunch of teams at 5-2..."

thanks for your help!

2 Mar 2013      

yanogator
United States

I �m not sure whether you are asking an English question, a Mathematics question (my specialty), or both, so I �ll answer both. First, I agree that it should be 5 1/2 - 1 1/2, since there have been 7 points awarded so far.

If you are asking how to read 5 1/2 - 1/2, it is "five and a half to one half". The corrected score is read "five and a half to one and a half".

Writers don �t always pay attention to numbers. The short story "The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry begins "One dollar and eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty cents of it was in pennies." If 60 cents was in pennies (one-cent pieces), then the remaining one dollar and 27 cents was not in pennies. However the 7 cents must contain at least two pennies.

I would say to take this as an opportunity to combine an English lesson with a Maths lesson.
Bruce

2 Mar 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Thank you Bruce for your very clear explanationS :)
it �s such a small mistake but it bothered me... and since the last time I played chess was 10 years ago against an 8-year-old I really needed some help ;)
merci beacoup!

2 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

Oops! I just realized that I didn �t tell you the correct way to read the record. When I wrote "five and a half to one and a half", I was thinking of scores. For a record, we just pause between the two numbers, so it is read "five and a half, one and a half".

Bruce

2 Mar 2013