Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Class Honored Heart Chains    

Class Honored Heart Chains

Khadooy
United Arab Emirates

Class Honored Heart Chains

Dear fellow teachers,

Today, I want to share something I made for my students to encorage them to follow classroom rules and participate well in whole class teaching or activities...

Have a look at this picture

and this is the explanation

Class Honor Hearts,

To provide a calm atmosphere for the children during whole class activity, the teacher will set the following rules:
  • Students get honor points when they behave well during whole class activities. The children get one point for each correct answer during class activities. The class activity is a competition between the teacher and the students. The students should follow regular classroom rules and be quiet during the activity. The teacher will take a first turn to model an activity and the children will take the second turn.
    • The teacher draws a table on the board as the following:

Teacher

Children

• The children should get a specific number of points or more that the teacher decides each whole class activity. The teacher calls the points �honored points.� When the children get the desired number of honored points, they get an honored heart each time that will be hanged in the Class Honor Hearts chains, see the picture. If the children do not behave well during class activity, the teacher will take one point out the first time, two points the second time, then three and four points from the activity points. The teacher will take the points from the children and puts them for her in the table. At the end of the activity, the points will be added.
  • When the children get 20 honor hearts, for example, in the Class Honor Hearts, the teacher will award them. She may give them honored certificates, give them extra pleasure time, make a fun class, celebrate, give them gifts, or other things the teacher and the children agree on each time.
Long explanation but an effective tool for children and very engaging....
HAVE FUN

24 Jan 2009      

jecika
Serbia

Hello Khadooy
   and 
for sharing your brilliant idea Thumbs Up
Best of luck

24 Jan 2009     

Mariethe House
France

very good idea for little ones .Do I understand well? Iy"ts not an individual system of points but a class general thing?
Thank you ! can you think of something like that for older pupils? 

24 Jan 2009     

Khadooy
United Arab Emirates

Hi all,

Mariethe House, I think this also works with pupils at ages 3-18...why not?! if it is a competiton between a teacher and students, students become very enthusiastic and want to do everything just to beat the teacher... and get something...

You may reward the old ones with things that suit them...consider having a real project of a target subject in your curriculum...

Example: teaching instructions and writing a recipe...

in the fun class: get the children do real sandwiches in class...

Hope this benefits you

24 Jan 2009     

Mariethe House
France

You  are SOOOOOO kind! thank you very much! I �ll give it a try!!

24 Jan 2009     

Khadooy
United Arab Emirates

You are more than welcome :)

Please let me know if it works with students...

Have a nice evening
Khadooy

24 Jan 2009