Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ENJOY YOUR MEAL VS BON APETITE    

ENJOY YOUR MEAL VS BON APETITE

monder78
Poland

ENJOY YOUR MEAL VS BON APETITE

Hello dear teachers
I know that the phrase ENJOY YOUR MEAL is frequently used  by a waiter and in all other cases when we wish somebody to have pleasure from a meal   
There is one more phrase I have come across, namely  BON APETITE. I guess it  is of French origin.  How is it pronounced  in the USA and the G.B. ?
Is is used at all ?  If it is, who is likely to use it ? Is it considered more formal ?

Do you have any other phrases to convey the same messages , for example colloquial or idiomatic  ? THX for your answers

3 Mar 2013      

Daisee
Vietnam

I use http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=bon+apetit

3 Mar 2013     

titine69
France

We say"Bon app�tit"!here in France.
�Bon apetite � doesn �t exist but it �s the way English people pronounce �Bon app�tit �.

3 Mar 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

What does "bon appetit" convey? In the States we say "bon appetit" or "enjoy your meal" but the Spanish "buen provecho" conveys much more, that your meal does you well, nourishes you, sits well with you.What saith thou bully Bottom?  Ed 

3 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Tuck in! Get stuck in! (Very informal). Waiters say �Enjoy your meal�. I haven�t heard �Bon app�tit� for ages, but I think, if it�s used, it�s pronounced correctly i.e in the French way. 

3 Mar 2013