Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Grammaticality    

Grammaticality

yanogator
United States

You �re right, Ed, that the juxtaposition of "proofs" and "is" makes it sound wrong, but, as I said, the subject is "creation" so the verb has to be singular.

Also, if you substitute another verb, such as "stand", it might sound better. Among his proofs stands the creation of the heavens and the earth. (or it might not sound better)

Bruce

5 Mar 2013     

douglas
United States

I had to think a while on this one--Bruce is right (not surprised).

If it gave more than one proof it would be "are", but only one proof is given so it �s "is".

Among his proofs are creating beer and the glory of the rainbow.
(creating beer and glory= are)

Among his proofs is creating wine (creating wine = is)

5 Mar 2013     

t.javanshir
Australia

Thank you all pals,

So the subject is "the creation" which is singular. The two nouns "heavens" and "earth" are conjoined by "and." Doesn �t it make the verb plural? (The creation of the heavens "and" the creation of the earth)

5 Mar 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Ed, "proofs" is the object of a preposition, "among." It can �t be the subject of the sentence. English doesn �t invert the usual SVO order often in affirmative sentences, but this is one of the rare affirmative sentences that puts the subject, "creation" after the verb "is."

5 Mar 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

Thanks for clearing that up Bruce, Douglas, Moody. Ed

5 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

No, t., the subject is "the creation", which is singular The rest are the objects of the preposition "of", so they don �t affect the verb.

The beauty of her eyes and smile charms me. This doesn �t sound right, because of the two objects of "of", but the subject of the sentence is "beauty", so the verb is singular.

However, in informal usage, we often go with what sounds good.

Bruce

5 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with Bruce and Florimagoo.

5 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

Now I want an o in my name, so it can get doubled!
Oh, I just realized that I have two in my nickname. So, Flori, you can call me yanoogatoor.
Bruuuuuuce

5 Mar 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Ha ha Yanoogatoor, I like it.

I still find it odd sounding but am glad others had to think about it too (i.e. Edroodmedina and Doouglas)

Cheers

Jaywoohoo

5 Mar 2013     

douglas
United States

One more note for clarification.  If it said:

"...the creation of the heavens and the creation of the earth."
it would be "are" (two separate creations),

but it says:
"... the creation of the heavens and Earth."
so it is "is" (only one creation--heaven and Earth is part of a prepositional phrase)

Both structures are correct, it is just a matter of choice on the writer �s part.

OBTW-Is "grammaticality" really a word?

6 Mar 2013     

< Previous   1    2