Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > the meaning of the verb "ride"    

the meaning of the verb "ride"

[email protected]
Egypt

the meaning of the verb "ride"

Hello,
I know that the verb "drive" is used with the vehicles"snowmobile" and "sled", but can anyone help me with the meaning of the verb "ride" in the sentences:
He rides a snowmobile.
He rides a sled.
Does it mean that he is the driver of these vehicles or just a passenger?

5 Mar 2013      

dutchboydvh
Singapore

I would use ride when you are a passenger.  On the other hand, a person rides a sled, bicycle, motorcycle, skateboard and a horse even if you are in control. 

5 Mar 2013     

douglas
United States

As DB said, you "ride" a sled and snowmobile--not "drive".

Generally speaking, if you are a passenger or if you sit on something with your legs on either side, you "ride" it, not "drive" it--even if you are controlling it.

6 Mar 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Just the thought of being on a snowmobile makes me feel cooler already on yet another scorching hot day where I live

A quick google shows both ride and drive for snowmobile. This Minnesota website uses drive and ride as does this Ontario one.  Even e-how uses both.

In my opinion I believe that in these links that to drive means to control or operate the vehicle and to ride means to travel or take your vehicle somewhere.  If you look at these links and substitute "control/operate the vehicle" where it says drive and substitute "travel/take" where it says ride it kind of makes sense.

What do you think?  Does that make sense to you?

In Riham�s examples though I believe that ride means to drive, to control/operate

Cheers

Jayho

6 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

Hey, Jayhoo,
I agree that we can use both "drive" and "ride" with a snowmobile, but definitely only "ride" with a sled. The reason for that is that a snowmobile is a motorized vehicle, so "drive" is appropriate. Also, as Doouglas said, you straddle it, so "ride" is also appropriate. The rest of your post does make sense, although I think we don �t need to go that far. For a snowmobile, "drive" and "ride" are essentially the same. There certainly is the control aspect of "drive" with a snowmobile, but in most situations that really doesn �t matter much.

Bruce

6 Mar 2013     

[email protected]
Egypt

Thanks to you all. Your posts were really helpful to me.

6 Mar 2013