Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A DOUBT ABOUT AND & AND     

A DOUBT ABOUT AND & AND

evafer
Spain

A DOUBT ABOUT AND & AND

HI EVERYBODY, GOOD EVENING TO ALL!

I WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU USES A SYMBOL DIFFERENT FROM & TO WRITE THE WORD " AND" . I USUALLY USE ONE WHICH IS SIMMILAR TO AN " E" WITH A VERTICAL LINE. I BELIEVE THAT I LEARNT IT IN THE US, BUT TO BE HONEST WITH YOU I DO NOT REMEMBER NOW. MY COLLEGUES WERE ASKING ME ABOUT IT TODAY.

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCED.

EVA 

6 Mar 2013      

yanogator
United States

They are just two versions of the ampersand. Both of them are a stylized "et" (the Latin word for "and"). In the version you are asking about there is usually a little cross bar at the top of the vertical line, so you can clearly see that it is "et". In the & sign, it �s not so obvious, but you should be able to visualize how it developed. The left half of the symbol devinitely looks like an E (like a reversed 3), and the tail going up is a vestigial t.

Bruce

6 Mar 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

6 Mar 2013     

ncech
Italy

Yes, it �s just  another version of the ampersand...it �s like a backwards 3 with a line through it. You can also use the slang version �n �... Rock �n � Roll

6 Mar 2013     

evafer
Spain

Thank you so much Bruce ( I was pretty sure you were going to help me with your answer, you are awesome!) Edrodmedina and ncech too . Tomorrow I will tell my collegues.

Saludos from Spain!

eva

6 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

+

6 Mar 2013