Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > apologise for/because    

apologise for/because

aldonza
Spain

apologise for/because

Hi!

In a reported speech test, would you accept the following answer (in red)?

"I�m sorry I didn�t go to your party", he said to me

He apologised to me because he hadn�t come to my party

or only

"He apologised to me for not having come to my party
"?

Thanks in advance

9 Mar 2013      

florimago
Spain

I�d say He apologised (to me ) for not going/coming  to my party . Let�s see what dear Bruce says Wink

9 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

Thank you for your confidence, Flori, but I �m not the only person here with answers. Be careful not to slight the many other people who help all the time here, and even those who only help occasionally.

Anyway, here �s what I have to say about this one:
Dulcinea �s first answer is definitely not wrong. However, we usually apologise (apologize in the US) for something, not because of something. If you use "because of", it just gives the reason for the apology, rather than saying that you are sorry for the action.

Flori, your answer, with "come", rather than "go", since this sentence is from the point of view of the party giver, not the partygoer (actually, the party not-goer), is correct, but less formal.

So, all three are correct, the "because" answer doesn �t really express the situation, the "not having come" is a formal sentence, and the "not coming" an informal sentence.

Bruce

9 Mar 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

I totally agree with Bruce.

I have yet to note that some colleagues and I "only help occasionally" because we often feel natives are more reliable to provide the answers required.

9 Mar 2013     

florimago
Spain

Don�t misunderstand me , Bruce (and the rest of you) I just meant you �re always there to solve non native �s doubts  , using solid arguments . Sorry for being so direct , I didn�t mean to alienate anybody .Cry

9 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Come on florimago, stick to your guns! Bruce, you have been a constant on here and a stalwart recently. Thumbs Up

9 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

Flori, I certainly don �t think you would alienate anyone, but I don �t want anyone to think their answers are less welcome than mine, which definitely wasn �t your intention. With that said, though, I know the other regular answer-givers aren �t so delicate that they would be offended.
Thanks, Lynne.

Bruce

9 Mar 2013     

aldonza
Spain

Thank you all for your answers and your interesting contributions Wink to my question. It is true that not only Bruce solves our doubts, but in my case he has been here every time I wasn�t sure about something, which I really appreciate.
Luckily, whenever I have a question, I�m 100% sure I�ll find someone among us (natives and non-natives) willing to help.
Thank you again

9 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

What I find, if we are talking about natives and non-natives, is that, as a native, I usually know the right answer, BUT, I can �t always explain why, because I don �t know the rules. I just say what comes naturally.We need the non-natives, who have studied the rules of grammar, for that purpose.
Bottom line: we are all here to support each other.  

9 Mar 2013     

aldonza
Spain

I couldn�t have said it better myself!

Cheers

9 Mar 2013     

anaram
Spain

I�d like to join the �thanksgiving � spirit Clap. No kidding, I really appreciate people�s contributions and sites like this renovate my faith in the human race. The fact that people like Bruce take the time to answer our questions, in length and with solid explanations, is very comforting.

As for the reported speech question, I totally agree with Bruce�s explanation and would explain the point to the student in question. That said, if the point you are testing is reported speech, I would say the answer is worth the total score even with that nuance of meaning.  Sometimes, when we work at a sentence level there is not much context to support an interpretation and students come up with readings with had not thought of previously.  

10 Mar 2013