Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Do I need ´ed ´ for the word ´jump ´?    

Do I need ´ed ´ for the word ´jump ´?

tensilestrain
Singapore

Do I need ´ed ´ for the word ´jump ´?

Hi,

I need some help in this sentence.
A parent asked why there is no ed after the word ´jump ´.
I am not able to provide an appropriate answer.

Henry saw a fish jump.

Thanks.

10 Mar 2013      

mrsdean
Canada

Basic sentence structure - subject, verb, object. In this sentence the verb "to see" is in the past form "saw." ...a fish jump is the object even though it includes the verb jump - it is the "what" that Henry (the "who") saw ("did"). There would only be an -ed on the jump if that was the verb in this type of sentence. That might not quite be the best way to explain it but hopefully it helps a bit =)

10 Mar 2013     

zinaida954
Russian Federation

the structure "a fish jump" is called complex object which usually consists of a noun (or a pronoun) + infinitive. In your sentense the inf. is without "to" because it goes after the verb see.

10 Mar 2013     

alex1968
Greece

The verb "see" (& hear) can take either a bare infinitive (jump) or a gerund (verb + ing)

He saw a fish jump. (He saw the whole action from beginning to end)

Eg.
He saw a man steal the car. (He saw the man walk over to the car, open it & drive it away)
He saw a man stealing the car (Just one part of the action. eg. while he was opening the door or as he was driving away but not the whole action from beginning to end) so he called the police.

10 Mar 2013     

jonscott
Japan

yet another way of saying it is. The active verb in the sentence is see so that is the verb in the past tense. Jump is part of a noun phrase as zinaida945 says the complex object more commonly ing nouns phrases are taught such as "He saw a boy playing soccer."" I like playing soccer" first introduces simple noun phrases

11 Mar 2013     

jonscott
Japan

yet another way of saying it is. The active verb in the sentence is see so that is the verb in the past tense. Jump is part of a noun phrase as zinaida945 says the complex object more commonly ing nouns phrases are taught such as "He saw a boy playing soccer."" I like playing soccer" first introduces simple noun phrases

11 Mar 2013     

miyoko71
Morocco

I agree with jonscott.After some verbs we use the gerund-ing form(see-like-prefer-admit-stop...)
Henry saw a fish jumping

11 Mar 2013