Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Text Types    

Text Types

adriennesmiles
Australia

Text Types

Hi all,
In the curriculum I use, I �m supposed to write a unit outline for each new topic and within that outline I �m supposed to include a text type. This helps to outline how I �m to teach and what the students are to achieve and be assessed on at the end of the unit.

However, I �m at a loss for different text types.
Here are some I have found already, can anyone please help me expand my list so I can have a bigger variety on how to teach. I �d like more conversational/speaking modes of text rather than written texts, but all will be MUCH appreciated.

Text Types: 
Research and factual report
Speech
Argument essay
Explanation essay
Diary
Feature article

Thank you!

11 Mar 2013      

adriennesmiles
Australia

I also have another question which is partly related to this:

I have to do a unit on body parts for primary aged kids
so there are several questions...
how can I make this fun in the lessons?
and what text type can be relevant, and fun, for this topic?

I had an idea to create a big poster of a person and label body parts, but does "poster" count as a text type?

I �m just feeling very unsure in this.
Thanks for all your help!
:)

11 Mar 2013     

sarguero
Spain

You can use the poster and after you have presented the body parts,  this worksheet as a game where they can work with the topic THE BODY

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=692183#thetop

Then they can describe the robots, monsters, aliens..... they have chosen, oral // writing with simple sentences or with a complete description (it depends on the age of the kids)

My robot is big // little. He �s got  a red head, blue body ....
He can jump but he can �t swim
He likes.... He doesn �t like....
His favourite food is ...
He lives in a flat/ castle/ house/ garage....
His telephone number is .....

And so on .... You can make a description model, previously, to help the kids.

You can use songs too, find the version you consider better for your pupils in youtube of head, shoulders, knees and toes or the hokey pokey song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxphoOOwTbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDmCSvqhhoI

12 Mar 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Adrienne

If you click here you �ll see a useful PPT on text types that I put together a few years ago.  If you need more info try the source which is listed on the last page and should be available in your public library.

For a fun activity, chn in groups can trace their body parts onto butchers paper and then use this as the basis for the text type e.g. a poem on body types, instructions on how to exercise the different body parts, a story.  You can even do this outdoors with chalk.

Cheers

Jayho

12 Mar 2013     

IbuLulu
Australia

Hi Adrienne,

CSWE (used in Adult Migrant Ed in Australia) is based on text types, and the word �text � doesn �t necessarily mean written, for example we have modules on informal conversation, discussions and oral presentations, as well as forms, letters and emails (formal and informal), different types of essay, and so on.

Regards,
Louise

12 Mar 2013