Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > grammar    

grammar

douglas
United States

Thanks BrOOOOOce.  Mine �s not as big as BalooOOOs yet, I just started taking some action to prevent it from getting there.

Can anyone explain why it is "she eat" vs "she eats"

Flori: Without "that" or "to her" she would be the thing that is being recommended:

"I recommend Mary for that job." = I recommend (to you) that you hire Mary.

12 Mar 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Sorry Brooce, I deleted my post so now everone doesn�t know what you are referring to.  I just wasn�t sure whether what I posted was grammootically correct so I chickened out and removed it.

So everyone, what I basically wrote was that judging by the size of Baloo�s gut maybe he should eat more fruit, as recommended by his doc.

12 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, Jayhoo,
I really hate it when I �m reading a thread and come to a spot where a post has been deleted, so the following posts don �t make any sense. I always waste some time wondering what these people are talking about. Usually I figure it out after a while.

Brooce

12 Mar 2013     

alex1968
Greece

Grammatically speaking it �s called subjunctive and if you were taking an English Exam it would be considered wrong to say: The doctor recommends that she eats more fruit.

You can find ws on the subjunctive here

If you pm me your e-mail I can send you a ws I have prepared for my Ss on this topic

12 Mar 2013     

yingying
China

Yes,to native speakers, , is it correct to say "recommends that she eats more fruit ( keep "s") in modern English?
Thank you.

12 Mar 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Well, after feeling a tad ignorant about my previously deleted post I decided to do some research and it seems that when you use recommend you should also use that followed by should, so

The doctor recommends that she (should) eat more fruit.

and my deleted post said

Does Baloo�s doc recommend that he (should) eat more fruit, so, in fact, my gut feeling was correct, but I am glad to say that my gut has only been like Baloo�s during pregnancy

So Douglas, that is how you tell, just insert (should) to see if it makes sense

Sorry Flori - I can�t help you with your question

Cheers

Jayhoo 

12 Mar 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Now, just to put a spanner in the works, (wrench for you Brooce and Dooglas) here�s something else from BBC  
  • The doctor recommended (that) he should give up smoking.
  • The doctor recommended (that) he give up smoking. (More formal)
  • The doctor recommended (that) he gives up smoking. (Less formal)

Read more about this at http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv105.shtml

Cheers again, and good night too

Jaywho

12 Mar 2013     

yingying
China

Thanks so much, Jayho!

12 Mar 2013     

anaram
Spain

The Oxford Advanced Learner �s Dictionary registers all these uses:

- recommend (that)�
I recommend (that) he see a lawyer.
- (British English also) I recommend (that) he should see a lawyer.
it is recommended that� It is strongly recommended that the machines should be checked every year.
- recommend somebody to do something We �d recommend you to book your flight early.
- recommend (somebody) doing something He recommended reading the book before seeing the movie
- recommend how, what, etc� Can you recommend how much we should charge?

Both the British National Corpus and the
CORPUS OF CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN ENGLISH
include all these uses and also the structure " recomend to somebody to do something. So it seems the variety is even larger than what is felt by natives � guts. I find the corpora very useful for difficult cases like this one, even for my native language (Spanish). What doesn �t sound natural to me may be perfectly acceptable for somebody from Argentina or Mexico. The problem is we don �t always have the time to check everything. This makes me feel

12 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I recommend to Douglas to send us a photo of his gut, so we can judge for ourselves its quality/girth against that of Baloo the Bear or Jayhoo on the way to the maternity ward. Wink

Broocie, I strongly agree, the language evolves and develops and we mustn �t hark back to what the rooles once were. Oh, apart from the apostrophe. Really, its misuse is unforgivable! 

I hope to God that almaz is too busy to check eslprintables today........Wink  

12 Mar 2013     

< Previous   1    2