Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Newspaper Headlines    

Newspaper Headlines

hussamk2000
Yemen

Newspaper Headlines

Headlines:

Newspaper headlines are ambiguous and cannot be easily  understood by my students. Particularly when I ask them to make a complete sentence. Is there any way to teach headlines in a good way? 

18 Mar 2013      

lewisronaldc
United States

Not really!   In Engl;ish writing, headlines and titles are not suppossed to be complete sentences.  They are suppossed to gennerate your intrest and curiosity so you will read the article to find out all the details. What I tell my writing students is to use one, two or three word phrases to tell their reader what the topic is.  Not sure this helps you a lot.
Ron

18 Mar 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

what I do with my pupils is to study the layout (pictures...) at the same time. If the headlines are very difficult you can actually talk about them once the pupils have read the article: for example when we studied extracts of "lamb to the slaughter",I asked them to guess the meaning of "slaughter" once they had read the scene where she kills her husband...

18 Mar 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Hi there

Here are two links that I use that might help you:

Happy reading!

Cheers

Jayho

18 Mar 2013