Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Writing aims and learning outcomes    

Writing aims and learning outcomes

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Writing aims and learning outcomes

I am writing aims and learning outcomes for a quiz game. It is based on the eTwinning project our students have been a part of since September. So my question is, if one of the aims is to increase students � cross-cultural awareness, what should I put in the learning outcomes for this aim? Should I write students will develop cross-cultural awareness?Confused
Please help me with this one, I �m stuck...
Sophia

18 Mar 2013      

Mariethe House
France

aim: read and invistigate about cultural differences
outcomes: develop cross cultural awareness

18 Mar 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

they won �t be really investigating, they �ll be showing what they �ve learnt from the projects from students from other countries...
so, you do think it �s ok to say develop ...awareness, Marietheas I wasn �t really sure.
Thanks
Sophia

18 Mar 2013     

Mariethe House
France

Sure sophia, the expression itself is correct!

Wht time is it in Ukraine?Smile

18 Mar 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

quarter to 2 in the morning, why?Wink

18 Mar 2013     

Mariethe House
France

You are working late dear young friend!!SmileHug

18 Mar 2013     

rosangie
Colombia

Hi ! 

From my point of view,to develop crosscultural awareness could be also aone of your aims . It is too broad to be a learning outcome. A most attainable  outcome could be students will be able to identify simmilarities and differences between  their own culture and the targert culture (the culture they are  discovering) or according what both of yu have worked . eg.  students will be able to recognize everyday habits of the target culture.

Something like that. 

byee 

18 Mar 2013     

rosangie
Colombia

Hi ! 

From my point of view,to develop crosscultural awareness could be also one of your aims . It is too broad to be a learning outcome. A most attainable  outcome could be students will be able to identify simmilarities and differences between  their own culture and the targert culture (the culture they are  discovering) or according what both of yu have worked . eg.  students will be able to recognize everyday habits of the target culture.

Something like that. 

byee 

18 Mar 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I guess I should elaborate... the quiz game is about famous European people, i.e where they are from, what were/are they famous for, when were they born and such basic facts. So here �s what I �ve written:

Aims:

To increase students� cross-cultural awareness; to motivate students to learn English as a language of international communication; to foster tolerance and respect towards people from other countries; to encourage group work; to develop long-term memory and concentration.

Learning outcomes

SWBAT

- to name basic facts about the lives of famous European people from the project;

- to tell what made these people famous and what was/is their input into the European history;

- to identify where the famous people are from.

SWD

- listening skills (listening to people with different accents);

- long term memory and concentration;

- speaking skills (answering questions about the lives of famous people)

- cross-cultural awareness

It �s really late so I am not thinking clearly....

I �ll be grateful to you for your suggestions and will be checking them in the morning. Thanks in advance.

Sophia

18 Mar 2013     

spinney
United Kingdom

"Develop cross-cultural awareness" sounds good to me. I think you were looking at it for too long. That happens in the small hours. You could also put "have a better understanding of other cultures" but to tell the truth it sounds OK as it is. I �d go with it if I were you. What I can see of it sounds good.

19 Mar 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It �s just that awareness does sound too general but I can �t think of a different phrase... Any ideas? Please help.
Sophia

19 Mar 2013     

1    2    Next >