Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination    

International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination

mariamit
Greece

International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination

Hi  everyone.

March 21st is designated as International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination. Our ministry has asked us to prepare activities for this day. They should last for  two teaching periods. I don�t want to do just videos or worksheets. I�d like to try something different maybe more concrete . Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Maria

19 Mar 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

How about a dance and a song or dramatisation of some kind?
Have a look at this (I have to say it �s rap though, not all people like rap:)
Have a look at the activity here

Also there �s an activity for children in which you ask them to write about a favourite animal and the reasons why they like it, then think of the reasons why other people might not like it and list the reasons, then think of your least favourite animal and give reason why you don �t like it. They fill in charts and maybe draw the animals or paste pictures and you make a display and you look at the display with them and analyse.
Are there any differences between what the boys and the girls have chosen as reasons? Why do you think there are differences in likes and dislikes? The teacher can explain why there are differences in people �s likes/dislikes. Ask them what they �ve learnt about the creatures their classmates have chosen as favourite animals. Is there a creature you didn �t know before? Write a story about it. 
(that �s an idea from Pestalozzi programme by the EU)

For your own reference have a look here (maybe you already know about this programme)

Sophia

19 Mar 2013     

mariamit
Greece

Thank you very much Sophia. I have used "A Class Divided" in the past . The page with the activities you suggest is wonderful. I have found so many things to do.  I �m really grateful.

Maria

19 Mar 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

I �ve always thought that just ignoring racial differences is dumb.  As we are all racially and more important, culturally different.  That being said, we are all human, equal and deserving of respect.  Talk about the things that make us the same.
Then talk about stereotyping and how trying to fit large groups of people into "pidgen holes", as a shortcut to taking the time to get to know them, is unfair and wrong. People are individuals and until you get to know someone, you hardly know who they are.

Then, instead of ignoring differences, talk about what the differences are, and celebrate them.  Learn from one another and enrich one another �s lives by embrasing the things that make us different. 

I also think it�s important to remind people that because something is different, that doesn�t make it wrong; just diffferent. Respecting differences is also an important part of elimitaing racial discrimination. 

Class discussions using this approach are fun and educational. Do a "show and tell" where people bring in, or explain things that make their culture unique and interesting. Different foods, clothing, toys etc.
Tap into the kids natural curiousity and you will find them more than willing to focus on the good, rather than seeing differences as alien and scary.

Have fun, Daryl

19 Mar 2013