Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Hi everybody, I need some help, please....    

Hi everybody, I need some help, please....

hardcase
France

Hi everybody, I need some help, please....

I will be inspected next Thursday with a class of special needs students, aged 14...- they are not very concentrated, and chatty but adorable and very volontary. This Inspection is to confirm me as a teacher in my position, as I succeeded my French Concours (It �s a state exam, very difficult to obtain, Or at least it was for me) and I wanted to work on clothes, fashion, styles etc...
I looked on this great site, but nothing caught my eye...for my hour with the Inspector in my class, I need a listing comprehension, something they can do in pairwork, and a grammar point to study....
So I thought of the place of the adjectives, compound adjectives, superlatives, but I need some very catchy intro for them, to get them hooked and interested straight away and something not tooooo difficult for them.....and that will be in their reach and keep them busy for the hour and the Inspector happy...
Any ideas or advice of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million in advance, I look forward to hearing from you.

Have a good day :-)

20 Mar 2013      

maceman
Canada

Hello.
I have a couple of exercises that may be of interest to you. They are taken from Penny Ur �s book - Grammar Practice Activities - A Practical Guide for Teachers. I think they may fit your situation. I have the exercises as files. If you want I can send them to you as attachments via e mail. Then you can review them to see if they are suitable. Let me know to what address I can send them to if you want to view them.
All the best.

20 Mar 2013     

monder78
Poland

Hello
My advice is  not to introduce the kinds of activities your learners are not familiar with  as the lesson is not likely to go smoothly. From  learners � reactions  the  inspector will guess from the very beginning that  your lessons are not always so  well-prepaid. Inspector can easily come to the conclusion that this time because of the inspection you have done your utmost to make a huge impression.  I  say this  from my own experience. If I were in your shoes I would practise some  similar activities  to avoid  unnecessary learners� questions  ( they will surely be confused)  and  you  embarrassed in front of the inspector otherwise your lesson is highly probable to be a total failure. Good luck anyway.

20 Mar 2013     

hardcase
France

thanks for your kind advice, you are right,of course.....I �ll be preparing the hour carefully anyway....I �ll be too stressed otherwise... ;-)

20 Mar 2013     

isabelle99
Monaco

Maybe you could try working on uniforms: first a photo on a transparency on a overhead projector with british boy and british girl: activity 1 what must they wear? what mustn �t they wear? activity 2: a chart with 2 columns must mustn �t and a list of clothes, they tick or cross. activity 3: draw and colour a uniform for your school, activity 4: pair work or EEC  explain it to your neighbour ( use must/mustn �t)
jsut a rough lesson plan, no listening activity but hope it helps
good luck and no worries!

20 Mar 2013     

titine69
France

Hello Hardcase!

I was inspected a year ago with a class of 14 special needs students who were nice but had a poor level in english.The topic was related to jobs and I prepared flashcards.It worked.
You could first have the students repeat the new vocabulary showing them the flashcards at the same time so that they visualize the picture.(or prepare a powerpoint presentation with the pictures).After 5 or 10 minutes working orally on the vocabulary,have the pupils come to the board and match the flashcards (words)with the flashcards(pictures).So the pupils will be active .Then,you can write 2 columns on the board and you ask them to put the words in the appropriate column:men �s clothes or women �s clothes.
You could then use a picture of people and ask the pupils to name the clothes the people are wearing if your grammar point is the present continuous.If you work on the verb �wear �(or even with "have got)",ask them to choose a pupil in the class and tell them to describe him or her.
I am not sure a listening comprehension is a good idea for that day because it is the most difficult activity for special needs pupils.I would rather use a powerpoint in the end to check if they have memorized the vocabulary.
Well,I hope this helps .
Good luck!Everything will be OK!
Titine

20 Mar 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

some links
http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/word-street/camden-scene-2
http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/word-street/camden-scene-2-language-focus
http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/word-street/camden-fashion
http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/britain-great-episodes/shopping-great
Sophia

20 Mar 2013