Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Polar world    

Polar world

izulia
China

Polar world

Hello dear friends,
Please, please help me with the following:

1) Do we say �polar � animals or �arctic � animals? or both is correct?

2) Is it common in your countries to call a reindeer �caribou �?

3) We can say ´Leopards live in a jungle´. What about polar bears? Can we say "Polar bears live in the Antarctic"? "or in the Arctic"?

I know that these questions are more to do with Science but maybe they are easy to answer for native speakers?

Thank you!

21 Mar 2013      

Jayho
Australia

Hi Izulia

1) I think both are ok however polar might refer to the North or South pole yet both poles have entirely different polar life. The Arctic is the North Pole and has land based animals (polar bears, arctic foxes etc) where as Antarctica is the South Pole, much colder and the animals that appear on land consist mainly of birds and sea animals that come ashore (seals and penguins) as it is too cold for land based animals. 

2) We don �t have these animals but we know them as reindeer

3) Polar bears live in the Arctic.  (There are no polar bears or land based animals in Antarctica except for some sort of midget insect about one cm long)

Cheers

Jayho

21 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

Reindeer are domesticated (since you don �t put reins on wild animals) and caribou are wild.

Bruce

21 Mar 2013     

izulia
China

Thank you ever so much for your help!!!

21 Mar 2013