Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Education is not filling a bucket but lighting a fire    

Education is not filling a bucket but lighting a fire

lojein
Tunisia

Education is not filling a bucket but lighting a fire

Hi every body
dear colleagues I �m going to deal with a module entitled"Education is not filling a bucket but lighting a fire" 
Would you please give  some  comments on this title.

21 Mar 2013      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I think this saying has the same meaning as this proverb: Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.

21 Mar 2013     

hellion
Turkey

It actually means education is not merely teaching. It �s mostly helping the students discover themselves and guiding their will to learn. Learning is more important than teaching in education. Because they (the learners) already have a knowledge base. All you need is just make them start from one way. (Nativist Approach i guess)

21 Mar 2013     

manonski (f)
Canada

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dont-delay/200805/education-is-not-the-filling-pail-the-lighting-fire

21 Mar 2013     

maryse pey�
France

I would say : when a bucket is full you can �t pour even another drop because it will be lost. Nothing is going to change. But fire never dies, it makes me think of the phenix. Give the opportunity to someone to become addicted to knowledge and this will become a positive need, a positive will. The person will want to improve again and again and it is the best means to become autonome, efficient, wise and humble.

The more you learn, the more you understand you have more and more before you.

A very interesting title indeed. I would say : don �t give the other only what you are asked to but trust the other and one �s will to become a MAN.

21 Mar 2013     

crist3008
Peru

iT IS OKAY COZ EDUCATION IS NOT JUST TO POUR KNOWLEDGE IN OUR STUDENTS IS TO GIVE THEM TOOLS TO CARRY ON THIS HARD LIFE... AND DO

21 Mar 2013     

ninon100
Russian Federation

http://www.eslprintables.com/speaking_worksheets/discussion/MATCHING_quotes_and_DISCUSSION_372642/#thetop

this handout might be useful. good luck! :)

21 Mar 2013     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I assume that the bucket reference is aimed at the behaviourist idea that children are a �tabla rasa � - a blank tablet that just needs to be filled, where as the fire that should be lit refers to Wolfgang Klafki �s ideas about the so called double opening - showing children possibilities and opportunities and helping them to realise their potential.

Hope this helps

Cindy    

21 Mar 2013     

ninon100
Russian Federation

a synonymic quote:

the mediocre teacher tells.
the good teacher shows.
the superior teacher demonstrates.
the great teacher inspires.

21 Mar 2013     

maceman
Canada

Hello Lojein.
One of my professors at university used to say our job as educators was "Not to fill up empty receptacles but to fan glowing embers into roaring flames." I have never forgotten that. I think we are talking about the same thing ... different words.
Have a great day!

21 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Eduspeak at its best.

Forgive me, I �ve had a bad day. 

Edit: Actually, I�ve had a great day, but these smug little sayings annoy me.

21 Mar 2013     

1    2    Next >