Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help Please!    

Help Please!

moonsherose
Turkey

Help Please!

Which one is correct?

Tracey is ..... thinner than Laura.

A) less

B) much

C) very

Thanks in advance!

24 Mar 2013      

florimago
Spain

much thinner .

24 Mar 2013     

moonsherose
Turkey

Thank you for your quick answer :)

24 Mar 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

To explain florimago �s answer: you don �t use less when the adjective is already in the comparative, so #1 is wrong. I can �t really explain why #3 is wrong except that we just never use very with a comparative adjective.

24 Mar 2013     

rafo
Peru

well as long as I do know is that you have two possible answers .... we can say less thinner than as well as much thinner than.....but never very thinner, because the comprative is not use with this intensifier  very....hope you find it useful

24 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

We certainly can �t say less thinner than. Much thinner is the only correct choice. Less and more go with an adjective, not a comparative

24 Mar 2013     

helena2009
Hungary

Dear Cunliffe, What is the opposite of "much thiner"? What would you say instead of "less thiner"? Tracey is much thinner than Laura. Laura is less thin than Tracy. Helena

24 Mar 2013     

Mariethe House
France

I am not Cunliffe but as she has got a lot of work tonight, she delegated me to answer your question ( Wink Lynne)
Your sentence is not logical: er= +(plus)and less= - (minus)Confused
To  express your idea, you can use the negative: Laura is not as thin as Tracey
                                                                              She is not so thin as tracey.  
Or you could use the opposite of the adjective , i.e. fat or plump,corpulent.. and use the comparative of superiority:
Laura is plumper, bigger, more corpulent than tracey
I hope Lynne will agree with me!

24 Mar 2013     

diddy2703
France

THINNER THAN is opposed to LESS THIN THAN

24 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

Mariethe has it right. I �m sure Lynne agrees.

Bruce

24 Mar 2013     

marie.marron
Spain

Certain words (much, a lot, far, a little, a bit, slightly) modify the comparative of adjective, so much in this case serves for expressing a degree (for lack of a better word). 

More or less are used for forming a comparative of adjectives longer than 2 syllables (more / less interesting). So using more or less with a comparative ending with �er is not grammatically correct.

24 Mar 2013     

1    2    Next >