Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Asking for help    

Asking for help

hussamk2000
Yemen

Asking for help

Hello my colleagues,

Is there any clear difference between over and above?
Other question : Can you tell me what the word ( hamour ) means? It�s found in the syllabus , but not in the dictionary. Is there any mistake in the spelling or what?

Thanks in advance

Hussam

24 Mar 2013      

Wendee4u
Poland

Hi,

With "over" we can understand it to mean going from a lower level to a higher level and back down eg. Please,carry the chair over the table.We understand that the chair needs to be lifted above the table and back down on the other side. If we said, "Please,carry the chair above the table." then we wouldn �t be putting the chair down again,we would just hold the chair up.

Hamour is a type of fish. It is called Hamour in the Middle East and it �s English name is "Grouper" . Maybe the syllabus had a spelling mistake, maybe humour was the word. I �m not sure.

24 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

"Above" means "at a higher level". The thermostat is above the light switch. The plane was flying above the clouds.

"Over" means at a higher level, but with a sense of covering. The ceiling is over our heads. There is a canopy over the patio.

Wendee4u gave some examples using motion, in which "above" still means "at a higher level", while "over" indicates a passing from one side to the other, a crossing. To fly over a mountain indicates crossing it. To fly above a mountain is essentially a position higher than the mountain.

I wouldn �t say "carry the chair over the table". I think Wendee meant to lift the chair over the table. To carry it would involve climbing up onto the table and back down, with the chair in my hands - quite an undertaking! Also, a person wouldn �t say to "carry the chair above the table". The general idea of Wendee �s examples are good, though.

Bruce

24 Mar 2013     

hussamk2000
Yemen

Thank you very much. It �s so kind of you to reply.

25 Mar 2013