Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > English everywhere    

English everywhere

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

English everywhere

Hello, have a nice Sunday
Again I need some help. I am also  a volunteer teacher in a kind of senior university; my students are all in their sixties and most of them only began learning English a few months ago. They are always concerned about pronouncing every single word and I keep telling them not to worry that much, because they will never speak as a native, as we all know. ( I myself am not native ).
So, what I would ask is, ( just in case you have the time ), if you could email me or send a PM with a list of very common words which have different pronounce or even different meanings, when they are British, American, Aussie,  from South Africa or any other English speaking country.
I usually compare Portuguese and Brazilian to show them that we can go round the world and be understood even if " uma equipa  " is , in Portuguese, a team and in Brazilian a they call it a "time".
Hope you can help me and thanks in advance.
Happy Sunday.

25 Jan 2009      

alien boy
Japan

Hi Olindalima!

Have a look at the following thread, there are some links with sound files for different accents & even a few transcripts - I happen to like �Arthur the Rat� & it may well be very suited to your needs as there are many different accents you can download readings in.

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=2772

Cheers,
ab

25 Jan 2009     

sarahgriffin
Ireland

Hi Olindalima

There is a great book on the market called Ship or Sheep, its to practice pronunciation, and is very good. 

There is also another book I have (I cant remember the name of it!) which deals with all countries individually and gives you a run down of what their main difficulties are when learning english (pronunciation, syntax and these �false friends� you are talking about)

I will root out that book and post the name of it here as soon as I find it

take care
sarah

25 Jan 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

I also have that book called Ship or Sheep and it�s quite useful.

25 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

This may not be a big help, I�m sure there are other similar sites that fit your needs better, but www.pons.eu is an online dictionary (primarily English to German) that provides US and GB audio files of many of its words.

25 Jan 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello, you all who took some time to get me an answer and help me
Thanks to all and each one of you. I have got tons of material to work on Smile .  Work ( ??? !!) Cry CryCryCryCryCry

Just kidding, thanks a lot to all of you who spare some of your precious free time to give me a hand.
Big hugs
olinda

25 Jan 2009