Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with correction    

Help with correction

carinita
Argentina

Help with correction

One of my groups revised numbers. I used lovinglondon �s NUMBERS, YEARS AND DATES worksheet.
While writing numbers, some students forgot to use �and � Should I take it as a mistake?
For example:
They were expected to write:
One thousand four hundred and ninety-four.
And they wrote:
One thousand four hundred ninety-four.

Thanks!!

28 Mar 2013      

yanogator
United States

In the US, it �s actually wrong to write "and", because "and" indicates the end of a whole number (where the decimal point goes). In British English, it �s the opposite - the "and" is required. I �d say just let them have it, and call it US English.

Bruce

28 Mar 2013     

carinita
Argentina

Bruce,
In the rubrics it said they have to write a number (not a year)

28 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

Carinita, I don �t understand your point in your reply. It �s a number either way.

Bruce

28 Mar 2013     

carinita
Argentina

Yes, Bruce I am a bit numb Tongue LOL Your answer is ok! Thanks

28 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

Oh, Numb and Number!  Wink

Bruce 

28 Mar 2013     

Apodo
Australia

@Bruce
  • The Hundred and One Dalmatians, a 1956 novel written by Dodie Smith
  • One Hundred and One Dalmatians, a 1961 Walt Disney animated film based on the novel
  • How is it wrong to write �and � ????

(Even in US English �and � seems to be included between hundreds and units)

28 Mar 2013     

Jayho
    Australia

Hi Apodo

SAE and SBE are different when it comes to pronouncing "and" in numbers.  I come across this all the time with my International students as it depends on which style of English they have been taught in their country.  You can clarify it in Swan�s Practical English Usage 389.10

UK English: always put �and� between hundred/thousand/million numbers below a hundred.
    US English: �and� can be dropped

Dodie Smith was British and maybe that is why the "and" is used in the title.  When Walt Disney made it into a film they probably stuck to the original title, but often it is just 101 Dalmations which kind of gets around that "and" issue.

Cheers

Jayho

P.S.  Brooce- I like your pun fun.

28 Mar 2013     

Apodo
    Australia

@Jayho Thanks for the information - the guys I know from those parts didn �t drop it. Confused

29 Mar 2013