Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > present simple vs present continuous    

present simple vs present continuous

cunliffe
United Kingdom

present simple vs present continuous

Something has been puzzling me recently. Why, when we have a present continuous tense in English, do we say I feel happy instead of I �m feeling happy? It tastes good instead of it �s tasting good and so on.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who can shed some light on this strange case of tense usage? Confused Question

Edit: Here is a nice cuppa and a hot cross bun for you all on Easter Sunday! 

Lynne

31 Mar 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

There are verbs denoting mental and emotional states, senses, etc. that aren �t used in continuous tenses. See here Others would have a change in meaning when used in continuous (e.g. smell, taste)
Although, in songs or poems they can be used in continous:)
Sophia

31 Mar 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Perhaps one of the reasons why you might be puzzled is because, technically, there is no such thing as a �present continuous tense � in English.  There �s a present �tense � (dealing with location in time) and a continuous �aspect � (referring to how an action is experienced and viewed) which is why we can distinguish between he is very careful and he is being very careful (the first refers to character and the second to behaviour).

31 Mar 2013     

orly100
Israel

Hi Lynne,
Sophia is right, I think the answer is:
We do not normally use some verbs with present continuous because these verbs are not normally action verbs. These verbs include:
believe, belong, depend, hate, know, like, love, mean, need, prefer, realise, suppose, want, understand.
  • They know each other very well - Correct
    They are knowing each other very well - Incorrect

Orly Thumbs Up

31 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you all for your answers. I �m not feeling confused any more. Thumbs Up

31 Mar 2013     

Daisee
Vietnam

Sometimes these are called state or stative verbs

31 Mar 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Cunliffe (Lynne),

You have been given some very good answers.

In �A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language� by Professor Randolph Quirk et al, 2010, the verb �To feel� is described as a �Verb of Perception�, pages 203-206.

Verbs of Perception

In the sphere of perception, stative meaning (states, not actions) can be expressed in two ways: we can either place �the perceiver� in Subject Position, as in [1a � 5a] below, or we can place �the percept� (or thing perceived) in the Subject Position, as in [1b � 5b].

(1)              Perceiver at Subject Position

I can see the house.                                                                                                     1a

We could hear singing.                                                                                               2a

I could feel vibrations.                                                                                                3a

Can you smell the soup?                                                                                            4a

I could taste the garlic in the soup.                                                                         5a

(2)              Percept at Subject Position

The house looks empty.                                                                                             1b

The singing sounded far away.                                                                                 2b

The vibrations felt as if they could have been caused by an earthquake.        3b

Can you smell the soup?                                                                                            4b

I could taste the garlic in the soup.                                                                         5b

�  � �

Sentences such as [1a � 5a] and [1b � 5b] cannot normally occur with the Progressive Aspect, even though they are likely to refer to temporary rather than permanent states.  This may be contrasted, however, with sentences containing the perception verbs look (at) and listen (to), which, being agentive and dynamic, describe an intentional activity, and occur quite commonly with the Progressive.

A. What are you doing?                                  B. I�m seeing these photographs.

A. What are you doing?                                  B. I�m looking at these photographs.

A. What are you doing?                                  B. I�m hearing a new record.

A. What are you doing?                                  B. I�m listening to a new record.

The English language lacks special agentive perception verbs, (verbs which perceive an agent, a a thing, a cause), for the other three senses of feel, smell, and taste, so that the stative verbs feel, smell and taste, must do duty here, as well as for the two stative meanings.

� � �

Table 4.30 Perception Verbs.

STATIVE

DYNAMIC

Percept as Subject

Perceiver as Subject

Non-Agentive

Agentive

look

can/could see

see

look (at)

sound

can/could sound

hear

listen (to)

feel

can/could feel

feel

feel

smell

can/could smell

smell

smell

taste

can/could taste

taste

taste

NOTES

(a)  Look in sense Percept as Subject, is exceptional in occurring commonly with the Progressive.

You look tired this evening.

You are looking tired this evening.

There is little discernible difference between the Progressive and Non-Progressive variants here.

(b) Of course, there are non-perceptual uses of the verbs in Table 4.30.  These include the use of see in the sense of �meet�: I�m seeing the Manager tomorrow.

(c)  Note the exceptional use of see and hear with the Progressive (focussing on the process of perception) in

I need some spectacles.  I�m not seeing things so well these days.

A.Did you hear a bell ring just then?

B.No, I can�t hear a thing.

A.There it goes again.  I am hearing it now/I can hear it now.

In the following, too, the exceptional occurrence of the Progressive seems to arise from perception which is treated as an ongoing process.  Your soup is tasting better every day.  My scarf is no longer smelling of lavender.  Such examples are very unusual, however.

This doesn�t quite answer your question, but it makes a slight contribution.

Les Douglas

31 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It certainly does answer, Les. Thank you very much!

Lynne

1 Apr 2013