Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Even though I have Word XP I can īt upload documents    

Even though I have Word XP I can īt upload documents

juliag
Japan

Even though I have Word XP I can īt upload documents

Hi everyone and Happy Easter for those of you around the world who are celebrating it,

I have a bit of a problem and was wondering if anyone was in the same boat and (even better) had managed to find a solution.

I know that people who have upgraded to Windows 7 etc. now find it difficult to upload their documents here because when they save them as Word 97 compatible their documents become very heavy.

My problem is that even though I still only have XP because I had to download a file convertor in order to read the files from my boss � Windows 7 computer, (at least that is the only thing I can think of as being the possible reason), it seems that I īm no longer able to upload any Word files here as when I try to I get the message:

Your file is not a .doc file.

Please save your file as Microsoft Word 97/2003 document, and try again

The problem is in the properties of the document where it says ītype � of file it says it actually IS a Microsoft Word 97-2002 Document file.

And when I try to select īMicrosoft Word 97-2002 Document � during īSave As � I have the same problem as everyone else and even a very light document becomes too heavy to upload here.

Although I don īt make that many worksheets I feel bad that I can īt share the ones I do make with you people here. Has anyone found a solution to this problem or can offer me any advice?

Hoping for some good news and thank you in advance for your time and help.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone Smile.

Julia

31 Mar 2013      

alvalen
United States

Hi, Julia
Happy Easter!

Have you checked the files on your computer to see if they are actually .doc and NOT .docx after saving them?

On my computer, when saving as..., I look for the option that has (*.doc) in it because there is another option that says Word 97 but with a .dot extension.

I hope you are able to fix it!

31 Mar 2013     

htunde
Hungary

Hi Julia,

You could try the next: open a file that you are sure to be a ppt file, preferably word 2003, any old file would do. Make your new file in this and save it as a new document under a new name. Be careful to save it like this in order to have your old file as well. This way the document is much lighter. Although I haven īt tried it with word files I do this trick all the time with my ppt-s, so hopefully it īll work with doc.files too.

Good luck and have a Happy Easter!!  

31 Mar 2013     

dmharg
Greece

I have the same problem. I use word 2010 and i save my file as word document. but i cannpt upload it

31 Mar 2013     

oumsalsabil
Algeria

I īm in the same boat too. I set up microsoft office 2010 last week and started preparing word files with, but unfortunately when I saved them as Microsoft Word 97/2003 documents they became heavier exceeding the size limit. Although I īve deletted all resized  illustrations , the files are still too heavy to be uploaded HERE. 

31 Mar 2013     

danygera
Spain

I agree. When I use microsoft office 2010 and save as Microsoft Word 97/2003, the document usually ends up being very big not matter what I do. Sometimes to solve this, I open a document that is already in the format of Microsoft Word 97/2003 (say, a previous esl printable), change it and save it as a new printable. Somehow it keeps the size manageable, maybe because I donīt use a microsoft office 2010 "base" for my new document? It worked for me, though Iīm not sure how.

31 Mar 2013     

juliag
Japan

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions and also to those of you who PMed me. There are some great ideas, so I will keep trying for now and if I find something that works I īll be sure to let you know. Thank you again for taking the time to answer. Smile

31 Mar 2013     

dmharg
Greece

Good morning again. To whom should we address to in order to allow us to upload any kind of documents we want? I have many pdf files and I also have word 2010 as I previously mention. Why is there such a limitation? Thank you :)

1 Apr 2013